Parker And The Behaviorist
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parker And The Behaviorist

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultParker And The Behaviorist

The behaviorist came this morning and she was wonderful. She is in agreement with a lot of you about the electric fence, so we will have to scarf up the money and get a fence put in. I won't be able to fence the whole backyard in because it si so big but we will be looking into it. She was just great and Parker loved her. He was on his best behavior when she was here (of course).

Thank you for all your help and yes I wishI'd listen to you all sooner. I am, unfortunately, the nervous type and constantly think the worst when something like this goes on. I love Parker and Linus very much and couldn't imagine my life without them.

And for those of you who said so no I am not a troll, nor Ed, do I have any "issues" except for what I said above.

I may have Melissa back again because Parker does need some work but keep your fingers crossed that I have learned but I won't hesitate to go back.

Peg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mombear View Post
    I won't be able to fence the whole backyard in because it si so big but we will be looking into it.
    Think about just fencing a portion if your yard is that big. What about a dog run just for Parker? An area that starts at whatever entrance he would be coming in/out of & generous enough for him to play fetch & roam around in.

If words were harsh from JLers in response to your crisis, it was simply out of concern for Parker & not understanding why you took so long to realize the severity of the situation.

Please keep the behaviorist visits up as a one time visit is nothing but a good start. You have a long road ahead of yourself, if you want to do right by this dog, get the fence installed, have weekly visits from Melissa & practice what she teaches throughout the week. It seems as though Parker can be rehabilitated if you put in the effort.

If you really love this dog as you claim, you will finally start to put him ahead of yourself for awhile until he is well on his way to being the dog he was destined to be.

Please keep us posted.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Bravo! Seeing a behaviorist is definitely a step in the right direction. Can you share some of the tips you learned from her today?

You might also want to look into doing a little homework on your own. There are many, many great books out there that could supplement your lessons with the behaviorist. I think it's ideal to do both: Do a little reading, and anything you have trouble visualizing how to practice, an instructor can help you with one-on-one.

I have the book "Control Unleashed" and I've been reading on it a little at a time all summer. It's a great book and I think it will help you understand the theory behind counter-conditioning, which is going to be important in your work with Parker.

Maybe others will have suggestions as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Well done, mombear. A good start, now be steady with your follow-through.

Seamus and Flynn

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

A good start. And to clarify - I said you acted like a troll - not that you were one. There is a difference there. When you post inflamatory stuff and then don't follow through - well - that is trollish IMO.

I hope you retain this resolve and make it work - don't kid yourself that one visit is all you'll need to get you trained to train and manage him properly. You will get support from this board in direct relation to the effort you exert.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

brody is offline Senior Member

a fence is an important part of the solution - but the efence (if my memory serves me) wasn't installed until after the fed ex "nip"

other incidents had nothing to do with the fence

the fence is NOT a cure all

I hope the money you spent got you a lot more than "get a fence" and I suggest you do your homework diligently and have her back either next weekend or the one afterwards to show her what you've done and hopefully get some more direction
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Tucker is offline Senior Member

So does this mean you are keeping him??

mombear is offline Senior Member

Oh yes I am definitely keeping hm. She seemed to think as you did that it was the fence that made him act looney. And yes I have had the e-fence since we got him at 5 months. H ejust started the snarky stuff early last year. She taught me to have people come over and then as they leave to walk back ward, have sit if he foloows them and then throw him a traat to associate someone leaving withi getting treats. Most of the time when he is acting snarky, he is right at the line of the electric fence, then he probably getz a zap and runs back to the driveway all growly and stuff. She also taught me about NILIF which I am trying to adapt and will work on my husband. I am probably going to have her out in another weekend or so after I've worked with him some. One of the things I learned is that talking normally and not yelling usually gets more attention and good behavior. Everyone hang in there with me. This is no overnight process and I'll need lots of encouragement. Thanks so much to everyone.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mombear View Post
    Oh yes I am definitely keeping hm....
    What about the insurance company?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Tucker is offline Senior Member

I am really glad you are keeping him, but honestly, WTF are you thinking with the e-fence?!?!? Give it up!! You have had a few problems already..as much as we all want to think are dogs are little geniuses in fur suits, they aren't...they are animals with animal instincts...I don't care how much training he has, how many times he behaves within the fence, the fact is, he has broken through a couple of times and you have had problems...you are LUCKY you are being given another chance...don't f***** blow it by being stupid with an e-fence...put up a REAL fence!!! (I personally don't even think given the history, that dog should be outside without a leash, but clearly you are hell bent on having him outside with free roam of your yard) ...as much of an animal lover as I am, and I would never want a dog put to sleep because it bit me, if I found out about your history and was bitten by your dog, I wouldn't want the dog put to sleep, but I would sue the shit out of you!! (that is why you are having issues with your homeowners insurance!)...PLEASE, for the sake of your dog's life - give up on the e-fence and continue with your training...PLEASE!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast