Hunter's date with Cesar Millan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter's date with Cesar Millan

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

Thumbs downHunter's date with Cesar Millan

So, we took our pup Hunter to the selection process tonight to be on Cesar's live show. They wanted to fix his eating too fast behavior. We were debriefed upon arrival and then when it was our turn we went in. We found out a few minutes before arriving that Cesar Millan would be inside and we could have photos taken with him (hadn't been told that prior). Cesar asked me to say a bit about Hunter (he wasn't friendly and neither were his staff) and then show him I feed him. Cesar didn't show an emotion just stared at me like I was in an awkward job interview. After a photo we were rushed outside to wait to here. Out of 7 dogs that tried out, only two made it. We brought hunter home and went back for the show with the free tickets they gave us. We were in the nosebleeds sections, one of the worst seats. Cesar talked quiet so I barely could hear him and the screens they had set up were small so it was hard to see him too. Now I am hard of hearing but I function fine in that environment usually with my hearing aids. The dogs they brought on barely had any issue and they brought out a pomeranian to show how a dog is unrelaxed at meals. We left after an hour, it was a waste of time. Cesar was quite boring to listen to and the problems they were fixing were a joke. All in all, yes I got a photo with Cesar but I have lost some respect for the guy.
    Hunter & Chrome

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry that you had a bad time.
    I'm surprised they would consider trying to fix that problem. Have you tried a slow down bowl? Alternatively you could split the food up. Sam gets 4 meals a day. She gets 1/2 cup for breakfast, 1/2 cup for lunch, 1/2 cup for dinner and 1/2 cup for her second part of dinner. Her vet recommended only 2 cups a day as she should be 60 lbs. We read about Marley's issues with bloat and took this method as a preventative step.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

I've always fed my dogs in two meals -- I like the 4-meal-a-day idea, that would help! Also, scattering the food on the floor instead of a bowl will take your dog longer.

Sorry you're disappointed in Cesar, some like him, some don't! I think he had to be realistic though, in what he could fix in a two-minute segment. I had previously wondered about that too, but it makes sense that they couldn't be big issues.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

We feed hunter in two meals, we used to it in three meals. it didn't make a difference how often we fed him, he still ate fast. I know he had to be realistic in which dog he chose. It was disappointing to see him live tho, he really wasn't very interesting which is shocking considering I really like his tv shows.
    Hunter & Chrome

Tanya is offline Senior Member

What have you tried as far sa the food food goes?
    Is it just that he eats fast or that he is posessive

Sorry to hear you had such a lousy night.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kootenaydogs is offline Senior Member

Sisko really inhales his food too, so we got him a slow feed bowl. He still tries to eat fast, but it does slow him down. I always add some water to the food too (although I didn't for the picture).

Marianne
    Trip (LabX)
    Tasha (GSD)
    Sisko (Lab)

lisa is offline Senior Member

Sorry you had a bad time. Have you ever tried a food ball...it's like a giant kong. Your pup will have to roll it around to get the food out, which might force him to slow down.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Sorry that you had a bad time last night! I enjoyed seeing him actually. But then again, he's like a "hero" to me and to all the staff at the training kennel I work at. I didn't really learn anything new, but I liked having some of my beliefs reinforced. I also thought that he was hilarious!

It's too bad that he didn't pick you though, cause I would have loved to finally meet you!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

CJs Mom is offline Senior Member

I think Julie (bbbbmom) got one of those slow feed bowls for Barley and had success with it. Sorry your Cesar experience wasn't all you had hoped for.
    Laura & CJ in New Hampshire

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry Hunter wasn't selected, but more sorry that you had such a lousy time. I am surprised as I found him to be quite entertaining, more so than in his shows. Also odd to hear he wasn't friendly, a girl that works at my local pet store met him while he was in Toronto & said he was very engaging & polite. I guess everyone is entitled to a bad day, even those that we expect to be "on" all the time.

I tried the slow down bowl with Diesel & all he did was slam his snout into it trying to get the food & the bowl would end up across the floor & he was also able to tip it. So I ended up putting a large rubber ball in his dish, which slows him down but he still hoovers it as I think by now he has a method to work around the ball. I think I will always feed him 3x a day to avoid him inhaling a large amount of food at one time.

Diesel's kibble is small but it's funny, I could give him half a cookie (to be same size as his kibble) he will chew the cookie but inhales the kibble.

What size of kibble does Hunter get? You may want to consider hand feeding for awhile to encourage a slower feed? Though he may end up doing as Diesel does & inhale it one by one anyhow

Is it just Hunter that does it or does Chrome do it too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast