When did your Lab start to be in tune with you?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When did your Lab start to be in tune with you?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

UnhappyWhen did your Lab start to be in tune with you?

I read posts all the time about how your dogs sense when you are sick or need TLC & it makes me sad cuz Diesel & I aren't there yet

He sleeps in my room at night, I have the bedroom door closed, he starts on the bed with me for maybe 5 minutes then he's off & down on the floor at either the end or side of the bed. I don't get a great sleep when he's with me because I always hear him moving around & readjusting. Sometimes he comes back up in the middle of the night, but again not that long. He is a major tosser/turner pup.

When I am sitting on the couch he comes up more so thinking I have a cookie, sits next to me for a few minutes then jumps off to lay on the floor, moving to a new spot every few minutes. He rarely sits or lays in one spot for more than a few minutes, he's been this way since I brought him home.

So I'm feeling crappy today & all I want is my pup to cuddle with me and instead he breaks from mini naps on the floor to standing in front of me barking at me to play with him. Even though I feel like crap I took him on a nice long walk this morning, stopping for 15 minutes to do his favourite thing... play in a pile of leaves. I figured maybe if I tire him out, he'll be more inclined to cuddle. I even had a talk with him this morning....

Me: Diez, mommy isn't feeling good today, can we just chillax, maybe cuddle a bit?
    D:
    Me: Come on buddy, let's just relax.
    D: Where's my ball?
    Me: sits on couch
    D: lays on floor across from couch

So I throw the ball a few times, tucker him out a bit (again), entice him on the couch with a cookie, he has his cookie & buggers off.

Is this just because he is a puppy? Obviously I want him to want to cuddle with me, I want him to know when I need TLC. The only time he really showed any interest in my mood was when I was crying one day he came up to lick the tears from my face but I just kind of figured he enjoyed the salty taste since being in tune with me isn't his strong suit.

Will it come eventually? Or do I need to continually force it on him until he surrenders?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

not all dogs are cuddlers. My dog is not. at all. he will "cuddle" with me if he is waiting for his meal (sometimes I prepare his bowl and leave it on the counter for abit) but that is not about wanting to cuddle but to get my attention. He DOES sleep on the bed with me but not touching me or cuddling in any way. On weekends if I sleep in he will cuddle abit but that is more about waking me up then really just cuddling but I eat it up Weekday mornings I am up before him so no cuddles there.

some dogs are short period cuddlers -that was my foster. She would cuddle up to me real cutely but usually for maybe 15 mins MAX (but a big improvement from my non-cuddle Rocky)

Your still have a young dog, so it is normal that he isn't going to just going to be ok with alot less stimulation because you are tired. I would guess that few dogs that age would be - and some dogs are just wired and will never be able to just "lay low cuz mom is sick" until they are much much older (over 7). Depends on the dog.

Cuddling is not a sign of a bond between human and dog, each dog is different. The cuddles MAY come more as he gets older (alot times it does improve) but he may just not be a cuddler (like my Rocky - he likes his space).

ETA: I wouldn't force a dog to cuddle too too much (abit definately but don't overdo it) as you may make things worse (i.e. make him like cuddling even less)
    Last edited by Tanya; 11-06-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Ummm... I'm thinking back now. And just about my labs.
    Paddy was my first dog ever and I was clueless on training. I'd say it was a year, maybe two, before we could read each others minds.
    With Seamus I can almost tell you the exact day. He was five months old and the day I first said "Come by me" he had it. After that? He knows before I do what is expected or desired of him.
    Flynn? Hahahahahahaha! In tune?? There is only one tune with Flynn and that is his bad boy self!

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I hear ya. Guess I'm just being a suck today

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

Since my mum died a fortnight ago, especially as Rhiannon is with her mum till the funeral is over. Dinozzo is a different dog - whether he senses I need his calm strength or because half of his 'pack' has disappeared, I don't know...but he stays very close. If I'm out of sight for more than a couple of minutes, he comes to find me even on our walks when he meets his best friend Tikka, he wont go too far away and keeps looking back to make sure I'm there. Poor baby - he just doesn't understand.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Me: Diez, mommy isn't feeling good today, can we just chillax, maybe cuddle a bit?
    D:
    Me: Come on buddy, let's just relax.
    D: Where's my ball?
    Me: sits on couch
    D: lays on floor across from couch
    LOL!

This is so Angus.

Angus has never been a cuddler. In fact, Angus not being a cuddler is part of the reason we have Simon. I lost Crash a month before we got Angus. What I wanted more than anything in the world was a dog I could cuddle up with and who would let me stroke them while I told them about Crash. Angus was most decidedly not that dog. When he was a year old, still needing a dog on which to bestow a lot of affection, I went to the shelter and met Simon, who seemed to not be able to get enough cuddling. The rest is history.

But I tell you what - a couple of years ago (I guess Angus was 3 or 4), I got a very bad stomach virus that put me in bed for 24-36 hours. I was absolutely astounded when I would wake and realize that Angus was lying right beside the bed - still - and hadn't moved. He did that for the entire time I was sick, except for eating and potty breaks.

Simon is still the full-time cuddler - but after living with him for five years, he's become borderline obnoxious with the attention-hogging. I pegged him right as the dog who could never get enough. Angus has also come to be a cuddler extraordinaire...only when he wants to be. When he's sleepy at night or in the morning, oh, there is no bigger love-bug.

As far as just general being "in tune," though, I have come to think that Angus has been in tune with me from day one. I think it's me who had to learn him. I think he's always known me.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Also wanted to add, Tanya's right: Not every dog likes to cuddle. Crash was never a cuddler. Very independent, sometimes when you'd try to pet him he would get this annoyed look on his face and remove himself to another room. Sometimes he'd allow it. Actually, very much like Angus. Which could explain a lot of the attraction to Angus...

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I honestly don't know what I would do with a lab that didn't like to snuggle........get another one? LOL!!
    Nadja looooved to cuddle and was in tune with me from forever. Our eyes would meet....and she knew what I was thinking. She was wonderful about giving me her neck to cry on too! Now Mya is just always by my side. I feel naked when she isn't there. She also likes to snuggle. I don't know that I have had any sad moments since she has been with me other than Nadja's passing and I had her stay with DD the day it happened. But whether I am sick or well - she is by my side.

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Don't be disappointed. Diesel sounds exactly like Saba. I always say that Saba and I are alike as we both like our personal space If comes up on my bed to sleep with me, it's for about 20 minutes, then he starts to pant and gets off to lie on his bed in the living room. Same thing if he's sitting on the sofa and I sit next to him to watch tv or just to hang out. After a few minutes he goes to another part of the room. That's just how he is, not a cuddler at all. The only time he wants to cuddle is if he's not feeling well or during our belly rubbing sessions in the morning. He's been like that since his "puppy-hood" and that's how he'll stay. Doesn't mean he loves me any less

Edited to add: oh yes, and Saba does not like when I'm sick. I get migraines and when I have one, I have to call my mom to come and get him as I wil not be up for 24 to 48 hours. When that happens, he senses it and sits and waits by the door for my mom. Then when they are leaving, my mom tells him to come and say "bye" to me, he comes, wags his tail once, looks at me and buggers off. LOL I'm used to it by now. He's not what you'd call a "lap dog".
    Last edited by Neska74; 11-06-2010 at 05:48 PM.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Dutch was a rescue at 9 months and it was pretty much instant with him. He is a big ole momma's baby though. He will give up a bone or anything that the others love if it means separation from me.
    Zoe was probably about 3 when she really starting connecting. Up until then, she was pretty much as you described. The ex and I started having problems, I was alone a lot back then and of course, cried a lot. She became very comforting during that time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast