Loose dog in parking lot (NLR)

Thread: Loose dog in parking lot (NLR)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultLoose dog in parking lot (NLR)

Well, that was exciting.

I was on my way home from Chik Fil A, navigating the very busy shopping mall parking lot in my car, when I saw a Bloodhound slink across the lane in front of me, owner right behind, looking inept and holding a leash with a collar dangling from it.

Without even thinking I put it in park, blocking a side lane of traffic and everyone behind me who, bless their hearts, were all extremely patient with the crazy dog lady who just happens to have a small sample bag of dog food in her glove compartment for just such an emergency.

I'm thinking now I need to add a catch pole to my car supplies...

Anyway, before I even get out of the car I'm mentally ticking off the cards that are stacked against a successful recover: 1) Bloodhound, 2) About nine months old, 3) Probably not food-motivated, 4) Owner looks extremely ineffective.

I jumped out anyway and announced that I had dog food, proceeded to tear the bag open and pretend to eat it. ?? I think I was attempting to demonstrate to the dog that yes, it was food, and yes, it was good food. (It actually was good food. Not that I ate it. I just mean, you know, it was a high-quality kibble). LOL

The Bloodhound did seem interested in me and came over, at which point the owner stuck out her hand so I deposited some treats in it, figuring that she would be able to take it from here. But when he got close I realized that there was no collar to grab. The owner was holding his leash and collar out in front of her as though she was trying to hypnotize the dog into putting his head through and leashing himself up. Oh, this is not going to go well...

She did get him to sit, very briefly, but when he was again presented the collar for doggie hypnosis he quickly lost interest and started dodging away.

At this point it dawned on me that I had leaped out of my car and left it in park in the middle of the road, preventing any traffic from moving anywhere, so I ran back to quickly park in a handicap spot (only until we capture the dog).

By the time I parked and got back out they were halfway across the parking lot, dog weaving between cars. Another guy was trying to help as well, and he had gone with them. He came back across and announced that the woman had gotten the dog. Good! I went back to the car and prepared to leave.

As it turned out I was parked right behind them. The poor dog looked like this may have very well been his first time on a leash - he was not loving it, for sure. Getting him back in the car was no easy task, especially since every door to the SUV was open. Instead of closing all doors but one, they put him in one and tried to race around to the other side, a la Keystone Cops, to get the other door closed before he could dart out the other door. Oh my gosh, people!!! They finally contained him and ran around the car as fast as they could, closing doors as they went.

Then they went across the parking lot to eat dinner.

????

Oh. My. Gosh.

Admittedly, I was extremely ineffective and didn't use the best judgement. I took out a bag of dog food when I had a bag full of french fries in the car. What is wrong with me?! If only I had thought to get the collar from her and hold a french fry on the other side...BAH! Stupid. Not too impressive for a "dog trainer."

Oh well, hindsight.

Ever get into situations like that and spend the rest of the night thinking about what you should have done?

Patricia McConnell I'm not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Some people should not have pets - at least, not the kind that can walk!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

That was me seven years ago when Judy was about that age. I had just parked in a busy WalMart parking lot off of a busy street. Judy was about that age, in a harness securly attached to the closed seat belt. As soon as I opened the door, she backed out of the harness before I could grab her and went running across the lot! I ran after her leaving the car door wide open. Mitzi, bless her heart, stayed in the car the whole time when she could have easily followed. Some kind people like you caught her and held her until I reached her. It happened so fast, I didn't grab the leash from the car before I ran. They held her there until I went back for the leash. Thank God for kind people. Don't be too hard on Bloodhound lady, one does dumb things in a panic.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

OMG! Sweet Mitzi for staying in the car - unbelievable!! I am not sure either of the boys would stay in the car. I wonder if they would. They are conditioned not to get out until their leash is clipped on and I say OK, but if I ran away from the car...we've never practiced that one.

Oh, I do know how stupid one can become when panicked. I experience it on a semi-regular basis. LOL But she really did look like she had no idea how to handle...well, anything...when it came to the dog. I'm sure when you got to Judy you at least knew how to put the leash on her! And then how to get her to walk once the leash was on. This poor dog looked like he'd never been on a leash before - he had his tail tucked and kept trying to lie down when they'd try to get him to move. Poor people. My impression was that they were very, very novice dog owners and the dog was very, very new at experiencing life outside his house. I thought several times, "Oh boy, this dog is so not ready for this..." He looked utterly freaked out about the whole thing, which was good in a way because I think it kept him subdued rather than darting. There was a very busy five-lane road about 100 yards away, and I was SO worried he would bolt in that direction.

I think what happened was he had slipped his flat collar. She was trying to just put the collar back over his head rather than buckle it, and I got the impression that was how they took his collar off and on all the time. It was just not tight enough.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Good for you for stopping.

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post
    Getting him back in the car was no easy task, especially since every door to the SUV was open. Instead of closing all doors but one, they put him in one and tried to race around to the other side, a la Keystone Cops, to get the other door closed before he could dart out the other door. Oh my gosh, people!!!
    LOL! Not exactly the brightest people.

Glad you were able to help (if nothing else, you stopped the traffic).

Bella

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

he had his tail tucked and kept trying to lie down when they'd try to get him to move.
    Ha That's the difference between a bloodhound and Lab. Judy was a total wiggle butt, kissing everyone who paid attention to her.

LOL! Yes, I'd have been much more in my element trying to catch a Lab.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Well, gotta say that must have been quite a sight! But remember in the heat of the moment its hard to remember everything! Glad to dog is ok. Hopefully the owner will do something to train their dog!