Greenies yay or nay?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greenies yay or nay?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultGreenies yay or nay?

Always afraid about giving Rocky anything. I would like him to have something safe to chew on for his teeth (on top of my brushing his teeth, I have trouble doing it daily) and for his entertainment.

Anyway, got some greenies but forget if those were more dangerous than other stuff.

He pretty much ignores antlers.

Last week he got a Z-ridge but it was like $8 so no way is he getting that very often. Plus is made his poop runny

Zukes Z–Ridge – Dental Bones for Dogs
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't let my girls have them. All three are big time chewers & they would bite off too big of chunks. I worry about choking. So no Greenies here.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I paid $1,200 to have a Greenie removed from Angus' lower intestine. So, I'm going to vote no.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

sigh - ok the last two shall go in the garbage

what DO you give?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I have Kongs for them. The large & giant ones. I had to stop giving them Nylabones because Abby chipped a tooth on one. they just chew too hard. The Kongs seem to work well for them. They also get marrow bones from the butcher every so often.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Mya absolutely LOVES/is obsessed with them when I give her one. No matter the siz, she would swallow it whole if there were another dog around though. I only give them to her when it is just the two of us and she is calm.
    It seems there is something in them! Greenies are to dogs as cat nip is to cats!! LOL!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain Tanya. Sadly for them, I have never since been able to find anything I trust. Real bones would be out of the question - I'm very sure they would kill each other if those were ever brought into play. I was using Nylabones until Henery broke his tooth, and now I'm askeered of those too! But of all things, I trust those the most. Never had anyone break off more than a rice-sized piece of those.

I agree with Connie. I did trust them with the Nylabones. They really couldn't break any big chunks off. But they just chew way too hard & I didn't want anymore chipped teeth.

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain, Tanya.

I don't give Greenies or rawhide or bullysticks or any edible chew (including those dental chews from the vet) that can come off in chunks and be gulped. I've fished one too many chunks of Greenie out of Henry's throat for my liking, and Connie's experience with Angus was enough to scare me away from them.

Henry broke one tooth on a nylabone (he's a heavy duty chewer) and the other on a beef marrow bone. So none of those for him. I'm wary of antlers because I think they're pretty hard as well.

Ollie is allowed to have nylabones because he's a much lighter chewer, and sometimes Henery will steal one of his but I watch him like a hawk when he has it, and if he starts going to town on it, I take it away.

We have a plethora of Kongs and Kong toys for them to chew on. Thankfully, Ollie loves to chew much more than Henz.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Knuckle bones and marrow bones for my kids, and I watch them carefully especially on the knuckle bones in case they break off a chunk. Mine are not real heavy chewers, but Kodi can completely consume a knuckle bone in an evening.

A big no on greenies here too, and any of those other "edible" plastic-like bones sold by Nylabone...I have found huge chunks in their poop when I did feed them to Belle many years ago.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast