Please Pray for Me and Parker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Pray for Me and Parker

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultPlease Pray for Me and Parker

I know you folks are probably sick of hearing about me and Parker. But here's an update. As you know Parker bit my neighbor a week ago this past Sunday. The neighbor was nice about it, I went up and gave him peroxide and bandaged it up. He would not go get a shot or anything. Each day I went up and asked him how his leg was and he said he was going to have it cut off or something like that. I am making arrangements for a trainer to come for Parker to try to get this taken care of. Today I get a note from the neighbor's girlfriend who also lives there that the bite is infected and Joe has to go to the doctor. Which means they'll have to report it, have the quarantine, etc. I am trying to get a hold of the health district. I am worried that if he does this again they will order him put down. I am just a nervous wreck about this and my stomach is a mess. Friends and lab lovers, please please pray that the trainer does a great job with me and me with him so we can put this problem behind us. And pray that I don't have to have him put down.

Will a rescue or a no kill shelter take a dog like this if worse comes to worse. Thank you for your thoughts. Mombear

PS Would some of you please answer this and not just look and not say anything. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dexter Dogg is offline Senior Member

I don't know how it is there but here in VA you get 3 strikes. First time is just quarantine for the dog for a week or so and possibly name on record if the dog broke the victims skin. Second time, dog gets labeled dangerous and must wear muzzle in public. Third time, dog gets put down.

Of course, these things only happen IF the person reports the incident. If they go to the hospital doesnt mean they have to report the incident to Animal control. They'll just tell the dr. what happened.

Don't give up, see the trainer and work with your dog. Find out what the dogs issues are and you will have a better idea of what you should be doing.
    Last edited by Dexter Dogg; 11-04-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

If the neighbor goes to see his own doc there probably won't be a report filed. Maybe your neighbor won't even mention Parker's (or your) name. If he goes to the ER, maybe a report. But he won't go to the ER with a wound that is over a week old.

Good idea to check what your city ordinances are anyway. Remember, if Parker DOES get quarantined (10 days) you can probably have him kenneled at your regular vet. The shelters are so full they'll be more than happy to accept that arrangement. (I had to do this many many many years ago - won't get into that story now).

Talk to the neighbor. Not the girlfriend, the guy. Keep us posted?

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Dogg View Post
    I don't know how it is there but here in VA you get 3 strikes. First time is just quarantine for the dog for a week or so and possibly name on record if the dog broke the victims skin. Second time, dog gets labeled dangerous and must wear muzzle in public. Third time, dog gets put down.

Of course, these things only happen IF the person reports the incident. If they go to the hospital doesnt mean they have to report the incident to Animal control. They'll just tell the dr. what happened.

Don't give up, see the trainer and work with your dog. Find out what the dogs issues are and you will have a better idea of what you should be doing.
    Here in Oregon Dog bites are a mandatory report. So you need to check the laws of your state. I hope the trainer is helpful- good luck.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

In Michigan, if you report it as a dog bite, it automatically goes to the police and there is a quarantine. I am not sure if there is a number of "strikes" here in Michigan or not (each state differs). When my neighbor's dog bit me, the dog was "quarantined" at home. (I only reported one bite...it bit me several times, but only once drawing blood and leaving a fairly significant scar). I have heard of people who go to the doctor in such situations and "lie" about it being a dog bite, or say it was a stray dog.....

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

It may be different in your state, but in California shelters (even no-kills) will NOT take a dog with a bite history.

I just PM'd you some information.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Dexter Dogg is offline Senior Member

Here in VA the dog is quarantined at home.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

To answer your question about shelters - no. No responsible rescue or shelter will adopt a dog with a bite history out. Nor should you consider making him someone else's problem.

I did not hear about the neighbor bite. Last thing I heard was when he went for the delivery man. I don't want to appear the bully - but why the heck are you letting these encounters happen?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

I don't think you are being, Sharon, it's a fair question. If it were my dog, he would never be alone and get the opportunity to be out of my sight long enough to do anything

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Praying everything turns out ok.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast