New lab mommy here, question about delayed neutering
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New lab mommy here, question about delayed neutering

Milo'sMom is offline Member

TalkingNew lab mommy here, question about delayed neutering

Hello there. I am a first time lab puppy mom. I was blessed to have my first lab over the past few years, Turke, whom I believe my best friend over at FieldofDreams posted a tribute to on your Rainbow Bridge page for me when I lost him in June of this year. He was four when I got him and I had the best years with him. I have never had my heart ripped out like that did to me when I lost him. I had never bonded with a dog like that. I swore I would never do it again.

Recently, a friend contacted me about a pup that needed a home. My first response was "No way, I don't have the heart for that yet, probably never again" but he was persistent that this puppy needed me and I needed him. He used guerrilla tactics in forcing me to look at pictures of said puppy, let me sleep on it, and the rest as they say, is history.

So. Labs. As puppies. Ummm, wow. God made them so adorable and lovable so we will live through this phase, right??? Haha, I jest. I am very lucky. This 6 month old bundle of extra skin and drool has actually been so much easier to take care of than I ever dreamed. He is a good boy, and I am madly in love with him already. I got him last Wednesday, October 27th.

My question here is.....is there any benefit to waiting till he is a year old or so to neuter him, as far as his physical development is concerned? He is 6 months old now, and with him just now coming to my home and getting settled, I of course intend to wait till he is good and settled before I take him in to have it done, but a couple of people that show labs have mentioned that if he is not distracted by his hormones or acting out, and he is cared for in a way that he cannot roam or breed any females, that physically (head, neck, chest etc) they can benefit from delaying neuter for a little while, developmentally.

I welcome any and all input. As I said, I have zero experience with puppies. My Turke man was older and neutered when I was blessed with his company, so this was not a decision I ever had to make before. Either way, this fellow WILL be neutered, I am only asking if there is any benefit to WHEN we do the deed.

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to getting to know you all and having a place to go with the questions I am sure will come up as I venture through this wonderful new adventure of puppyhood.

I am going to try and attach a photo of my pup, whom I named Milo. I hope it works. This is all new to me here!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

I will defer the answer to the neuter question to our expert breeders but wanted to welcome you to the forum. I gather from your post that this is your first Lab puppy and there will be tons of help here to get you through the joys of Lab puppyhood.
    Did you know that a Lab puppy can and will eat anything in your house so I highly recommend crate training so you can keep him out of trouble when you can't watch him. Get a crate that can be partitioned off into a smaller area for now and then can expand as he grows.
    Also, take lots of photos an do so often. He will grow at an amazing rate.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Our breeder suggested that we wait until BJ was at least one to let him get his full growth. Labby posted something recently about waiting longer than that (something about head size so that males look more like males). Hopefully she will answer you too!

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I agree with the Lab breeders. As long as you are careful and diligent, there is no reason to neuter him before he is 18-24 months of age. In fact, it's better for HIM to wait.

When To Spay When To Neuter

Laura

Thank you so much for the replies everyone, I really do appreciate that. I won't be so worried about feeling irresponsible for putting it off for awhile then. And considering he is ALWAYS either with us or in his crate, I feel we can supervise him. Labby/Laura, thank you for the link, I am going over there now to read. Oh, and I started him on the ProPlan Chicken and Rice after researching here, so thanks for that too.

labby is offline Senior Member

You're welcome.

Laura

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I am not a breeder so this is just my two cents. I just neutered Diesel on Oct 20th. I don't have issues with neutering later, I read that article that Laura provided you a link to as well. Just make sure you socialize your pup now while he is still so young! That is my biggest regret with Diesel is that when he was young, before getting all his shots, I sheltered him a bit too much. Then I found he did not know how to interact with other dogs properly & kept getting his ass kicked at the DP. As he got older I found it got worse because, especially here in the city, the general public tend to follow blindly & neuter at 6 months. I do believe that neutered v.s. intact pups interact with each other differently, especially given that they are still growing & getting into the adolescent age. People were horrified that Diesel wasn't neutered yet & him being intact was constantly the blame for his lack of social skills & getting other people's dogs all riled up & for trying to hump other people's dogs. Well, dogs hump even after they're fixed so these people are stupid, but again, my fault for not socializing him properly. The only reason I got him neutered at 8 months (I was going to wait) is that doggie daycares will not take him if he is over 6 months & not neutered and I want to get him in there to start working on controlled socializing with dogs that have been screened for behavioural issues. SO... neuter as per what breeders recommend & what you feel works best for you & your pup but make sure you socialize, socialize, socialize!!

Great question, and I'm also glad for the responses. My vet has been pushing me about getting Apollo neutered young. Thanks Laura for the article. I now know that I will wait. It has been a decision that I have been wrestling with as well.

I see you made it! YEAH!

Milo is the sweetest guy I've met- besides my Forrest! After playing with him all weekend at the horse show, I have puppy fever.... *sigh*

Lucy
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

Hey Lucy!!! Yes, the computer was much more friendly today and I finally made it. Good news on the bonding thing too. I was concerned a bit because Carl took the week off for vacation time and I was a bit iffy about Milo being home with him all day and getting really attached to him. But I think the one on one time at the show really worked magic because Carl was in the front yard playing with Milo when I drove up after work yesterday and as soon as Milo saw me he ran as fast as his clumsy self could run to me Very happy mommy heart <3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast