Bones for chewing... what kind do you get?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bones for chewing... what kind do you get?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

QuestionBones for chewing... what kind do you get?

Hey guys, I want to get Diesel a bone to chew on... not the nylabone or other synthetic manufactured product, something more natural. BUT I want to avoid broken teeth!! For one I can't afford doggie dental bills & for another, I know I am biased, but I think Diesel has perfect teeth!

I was giving him Rawhide bones, throwing away the chunks he pulled off because anything fist size for Diesel is a potential choking hazard as he tends to throw his head back when it's in his mouth! But then I think it was Sharon that mentioned they may cause intestinal blockage? Even though I throw away the chunks he breaks off, I'm sure he still gets bits ingested & now he doesn't get Rawhide bones anymore.

I tried pigs ears, too much of a choking hazard because of how he chews them. I want to get him an actual bone, when he chews it down to choking size I would throw it out & start another.

So what does everyone recommend... nothing so hard that he would break his teeth & obviously safe (doesn't splinter, etc).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Well, for Mya I go to the local butcher and get cow leg bones with the big knuckle....she has beautiful teeth!

patm is offline Senior Member

I have settled on raw bones that Krogers has in the meat section - they're about 8 inches long, with a little meat and all the marrow still in them. I let them chew on them for quite a while (outside) and then rinse them off and put them in the freezer until the next time. I just give them to them frozen the next time. Unless your dog actually has problems with his teeth, bones aren't going to hurt their teeth - in fact, I think it helps to keep them healthy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

See the Murpy's birthday thread for the bone treats that mine get !

You can reuse them time and again with your own stuffing and freezing them !

I haven't had one break yet !

Mind you i still give mine hide chews providing that I am in the same room to watch them !

bett is offline Senior Member

i use raw marrow bones. and honestly, they can break their teeth on those or nylabones.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

We alternate rawhide bones, pig ears and knuckle bones. The real raw bones get kinda funky.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

How old is your pup? I was told by my vet to wait until the dogs teeth were fully developed before giving bones, because they can wear their teeth down too easily if given bones before the tooth enamel is fully developed.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaisdad View Post
    How old is your pup? I was told by my vet to wait until the dogs teeth were fully developed before giving bones, because they can wear their teeth down too easily if given bones before the tooth enamel is fully developed.
    He's 9 months, lost all his baby teeth & has his full set of adult in. We're going to the vet on Tuesday to get his neuter sutures removed so I can ask the vet what he thinks. The main reason why I like giving him a bone is that I feel it is good for his teeth but also when he is being a PITA & I am trying to get stuff done & don't have a free arm to constantly throw the ball, it keeps him busy for hours!

justine is offline Senior Member

I used to give marrow bones, but those are quite hard and Abbey snapped one of her P4's on one.. Knuckle bones are softer. We also like turkey necks, but Kolby will try to eat those entirely.. haha. So Abbey gets turkey necks, Kolby (and perfect white teeth) gets knuckle bones.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

I use raw marrow bones which I freeze first. Also buy those cleaned bones stuffed with peanut butter or other stuff and restuff them.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast