Puff's pretty full day

Thread: Puff's pretty full day

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuff's pretty full day

This morning Puff was scheduled for her annual physical at Kansas State University's CollVetMed Teaching Hospital (60 miles/96 km west of home, @ 10:30 AM) and also accompanying me on my 12 noon - 6 PM volunteer shift answering phones for KPR-KANU's (public radio) semi-annual pledge drive (35 miles/56 km east of home).

She wasn't to have any food (which she didn't understand or agree with at all) for 10 hours before our appointment.

We went out for our usual 2 mile early morning walk and Puff decided to take matters into her own mouth and munched on grass like she was a cow. She did it SO much, I put the leash on her to get a bit more control. After 10-15 minutes, she had several upchucks and puked most of it back out.

As soon as we left Topeka on the I-70 Interstate highway, Puff concluded we were going to the vet and became uncharacteristically super-excited as if we were going to a Disney World for dogs.

The back on our front passenger seat is reclined all the way so Puff can park her butt 3/4ths of the way up the back and splay her front feet on the bottom cushion to view the road. But when she's excited, she alternates between sitting down like that and jumping to the back seat and immediately returning -- over and over.

This morning on our trip there, she must have performed that maneuver 3k times -- tail wagging and voice crooning in anticipation. My telling her to sit (either in front or back) usually has some effect for at least a minute or two until my spell wears off.

Not this morning.

Puff was essentially deaf. I finally gave up trying to protest to avoid getting hoarse.

Once at the vet's, Puff was her typical somewhat uncooperative self. She doesn't like her mouth being examined -- or much of any of her parts. She never snaps or growls -- just makes it a contest of wills and strengths.

She's lost a slight bit of weight -- this morning she was 60.9 lbs/27.6 kg.

She has 2 previously diagnosed lipomas, one grape size and the other maybe golf ball size neither of which have grown since the last visit.

Our vet said she's in excellent physical shape, unquestionably a "3" on a 5 point scale.

They cut Puff's toe nails: 2 people holding, 1 person cutting, and the vet laughed when telling me about it and said Puff is still a surpisingly strong dog.

They vaccinated her for Lepto. We're to return in December for another heartworm test.

Our bill came to a staggering $32.75. $15 for the exam & tests, $17.75 for the lepto vaccination.

I'd packed Puff's breakfast with us so she finally ate breakfast as we scooted back about 100 miles/161 km to the east. Made it a few minutes before 1 PM.

The phones at our pledge drives ring in spurts, about every 10 - 20 minutes, whenever the announcers interrupt normal programming and encourage listeners to call in pledging their financial support. Public radio stations get about 80% of their operating revenue from listeners and the rest from foundations, business underwriters, and a small bit from state and federal governments.

In between those spurts, I often go to the car, let Puff out and "bowl" a softball for her to chase and retrieve, and check that she still has enough water.

We got home at 7 PM. Right now, Puff's sawing Z-ZZ-ZZ-Z's beside me

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Seamus Lab is offline Senior Member

Wow, you both had a busy day. Glad she checked out okay.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Nice visit to the vet, anytime its a good report is a nice visit. And good for you volunteering to help a worthy cause.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MNLab is offline Senior Member

What a great day for Puff AND you!
    Bob, you are a fantastic writer and I really enjoy reading your posts, thanks for sharing.
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

joflake is offline Senior Member

I'm glad to hear Puff's vet appointment went well!