Taking Abbey to the vet wednesday
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Abbey to the vet wednesday

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultTaking Abbey to the vet wednesday

Abbey is a notorious picky eater.. and that's putting it nicely. Ever since she was a puppy, she would refuse to eat her kibble.. I've tried many different brands and flavors over the past couple of years but nothing really seemed to satisfy her. She would eat it for a week or so and then stop eating entirely.

I've kind of figured out that she likes variety in her food, so I switch it up by adding a little bit of cottage cheese, baby food, etc. She does okay but will sometimes pass up a meal here and there, which for her is normal.

She's had bloodwork done a few months ago when she had a broken tooth extracted and everything seemed okay.. but she's not eating well again and I want to see if there is a different food alternative that would be better for her.. Perhaps home-cooked or raw, not sure what the doc will think as of yet.

So she'll be coming to work with me on Wednesday and we'll see what the doc thinks.. hopefully there is something we can do to figure it out.. it's awfully hard to get her to eat lately, but there are no other symptoms, so we'll see.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Don't ever get a shepherd. Mine was like that for her entire life.

You may be creating your own problem by changing foods all the time (which I am sure you have considered). I'd pick a food, stick to it, offer it to her - if she turns up her nose remove it. Repeat at the next meal until she eats.

She will not starve herself.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

She's been on this particular kibble for almost a year and it's done good for her, but even if I stick with something for a while, she'll get sick of it. I'll pick it up after 15 minutes of not eating it and nothing til the next meal, but she'll still pass it up. She once held out for over a week without eating anything.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts for Abbey. I hope it is nothing.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Could any of this be an issue? (I've copied a post I made in a thread titled "Kirkland feeders")

Gauge has been a little lackluster about eating and I'm wondering if he is getting tired of eating the chicken formula. Does this happen? I was thinking of trying the lamb formula, but do I need to gradually switch it or can he just begin eating it? He is not particularly food sensitive and has done really well with the Kirkland ingredients.
    I'm sorry I missed picking up on this originally and asking these important questions.

How old is Gauge?

That's very important because young puppies eat 2X the weight of an adult dog of their same weight. My Puff is one of the rare self-regulating Labs which do not overeat (in contrast to the 90% of Labs that are gluttons). At 9 weeks at 6 lbs., she ate about 1 cup/day and by 7-8 months, she was eating 5 cups/day (÷ in 2 meals). At that point she began skipping meals, sometimes for a day or more, and then when she resumed, she ate less. That continued off and on until she was about a year old when she reached her present adult ration of 2 cups/day.

The second important question is: How are you storing your food once the 40 lb. bag is open?

Especially for Labs with self-regulating tendencies, once a 40 lb. bag is opened, it can go stale about half way through the bag -- stale in the same way that crackers left opened on a kitchen counter for a month or so can go stale.

That happened with Puff and I thought at first, perhaps like you, that it was the formula she was tired of and so I switched from Costco's L&R to their C&R. But the same thing happened again about halfway through.

That made me consider the humidity-staleness factor.

I bought 3 relatively airtight containers and using those did delay for a bit the point of the food becoming unappetizing but not enough. I've concluded that's probably because with a rigid container, as you take food out, it gets replaced by more outside air, progressively more the more food you remove.

To skip through the other failed steps I took; I've finally hit on the procedure that's worked okay for years.

As soon as a new 40 lb. bag is opened, I immediately transfer its contents into 10-11 one gallon Ziplock freezer bags.** [I used to store half these (5-6 bags) in a stand alone freezer, taking out a new one 24 hrs. before using it so it'd reach room temps before opening.] Possibly Puff's palate has changed but now I just place the 10-11 filled Ziplock bags back into the Kirkland sack. One bag is opened at a time and resealed (exhausting excess air) after removing each meal's kibble. Puff likes the contents of the last bag as much as the first as far as I can tell.

Works okay for us.

**If you do adopt this method, you'll probably devise an easier way than mine but this is the way I've evolved to do it over 6 years. I put the bottom of a large pressure cooker (about 12"/30 cm inner diameter) or any large pot in front of the chair in which I sit. The opened bag is by my side. A 1 quart sauce pan serves as a scoop and 3+ scoops fills each bag placed in the bottom of the pressure cooker or pot. This pot catches inevitable stray kibbles. When the bag is filled near the brim, it's sealed aned ready to be put back in the paper food sack after that's emptied. Takes about 5 minutes

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Raw. So easy a caveman could do it.

I'd like to see her turn her nose up at stinky, delicious tripe. MMmmmm!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317 View Post
    Raw. So easy a caveman could do it.

I'd like to see her turn her nose up at stinky, delicious tripe. MMmmmm!!
    I know. I've been dilly-dallying (sp?) around with the idea for a long time. She has a VERY sensitive GI system, so I'm just nervous about it. I've given her raw beef knuckles and even just chewing on them for 10 minutes upsets her system.

That and I'm worried about all of the supplements she'll need. I think I'm just scared!

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts coming for Abbey.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

joflake is offline Senior Member

I was going to suggest raw also.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    I know. I've been dilly-dallying (sp?) around with the idea for a long time. She has a VERY sensitive GI system, so I'm just nervous about it. I've given her raw beef knuckles and even just chewing on them for 10 minutes upsets her system.

That and I'm worried about all of the supplements she'll need. I think I'm just scared!
    Beef is a tough one, and no supplements needed.

PM me if you ever want help, I'd be more than happy to offer it.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast