First weekend - more photos - Bess doing a wolf imitation

Thread: First weekend - more photos - Bess doing a wolf imitation

DefaultFirst weekend - more photos - Bess doing a wolf imitation

Greetings,

Well soon we will have our first weekend behind us. Bess is a wonderful puppy. Here are some more highlights and a link to more recent photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/NYinTexas/Weekend1#

Bess spent a good part of the weekend with my 11 year old daughter. They get along wonderfully. She really likes kids and seems to be a kids magnet during walks. Speaking of walks, we are doing 3 leisurely walks per day. I keep them at 15 minutes since she is so young. I am constantly pulling things out of her mouth on walks. She tries to chomp on every leaf, acorn, stick, piece of paper, or whatever is within reach.

Great news on the potty training front. Not a single accident in the house. She spends half of her time in the gated kitchen/breakfast area and the other half in the crate. I have tried leaving her water in the crate and it turns into a big mess. She considered the water in the crate to be a toy.

We went to the VET practice that was recommended. While the Dr seemed nice and competent, the place was literally like a zoo. It was packed and there were many sick dogs, cats, birds and other exotics there. When I asked if it was always this crowded I was told that these Dr's make VET care very affordable so it is always like this. I kept her outside because too many of the dogs seemed sickly. He gave her the first heart worm treatment and suggested that she go on frontline for fleas. I would be open to any VET recommendations in the West Plano/frisco area.

Finally on the food front. I am slowly going to get her off the Diamond Large Breed Puppy formula. In the past I had great success with Innova. After reading the petfoodanalysis web site, I was going to try Orijen. What they said about not using grains seemed to make sense. However when I went to buy the food, the saleswoman said the high protein content in the Orijen most likely would be too much for her to handle right now and she made a strong case that the innova served me well in the past and it would be a nice step in the right direction. Another person said they mix 25% Orijen when they feed their Golden. I just want to feed Bess a very nutritional food that she will thrive on with the lowest risk of nutritional related problems.

Regards, Howell

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Sounds like your weekend was fun and went well!

I'm not an expert on puppy dog foods, but I would recommend going for a food made for puppies, maybe even for large breeds. I'm trying to think which higher quality brands make puppy food, but I'm drawing a blank.

California Natural is very high quality and a lot of people on here feed it to their dogs. They make puppy food, but I didn't see a large breed formula. http://www.californianaturalpet.com/...lt.asp?id=1252

There are a million others, too.. but I think it's great that you are committed to getting Bess on the right track with a high quality food.

Innova makes large breed puppy food - http://www.innovapet.com/product_line.asp?id=1259

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Diamond is a good food, and if she is doing well on the large-breed puppy formula, why fix what ain't broke?

Also - taking her for walks outside your yard before she's had all her shots is not a good idea. She can pick up any one of several very bad diseases just because another dog also walked there.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your reply. I enjoy this site. People really seem to go out of their way to share useful information about LABS.

Dog food brands seems to be a passionate topic to many people. I try to be careful in judging certain brands because that could hit a sensitive nerve. So let me just say that I had nice success with Innova last time I had retrievers. I am big on nutrition when it comes to myself and my kids. I want to do what's best for the dog. A Canadian Acquaintance recently shared a very compelling white paper from Orijen. I am just looking to members on this site to share experiences with that or any other grainless food. Either way I will slowly take her off the Diamond food.

Regarding your comment about the walks, I am being very careful. We have a huge park near my home. I just explained to my 11 year old that Bess will not be allowed to visit the park or go to the puppy training class at petsmart until she completes her shots. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Thanks again and hope you had a nice weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    Diamond is a good food, and if she is doing well on the large-breed puppy formula, why fix what ain't broke?

Also - taking her for walks outside your yard before she's had all her shots is not a good idea. She can pick up any one of several very bad diseases just because another dog also walked there.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyindallas View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I enjoy this site. People really seem to go out of their way to share useful information about LABS.

Dog food brands seems to be a passionate topic to many people. I try to be careful in judging certain brands because that could hit a sensitive nerve. So let me just say that I had nice success with Innova last time I had retrievers. I am big on nutrition when it comes to myself and my kids. I want to do what's best for the dog. A Canadian Acquaintance recently shared a very compelling white paper from Orijen. I am just looking to members on this site to share experiences with that or any other grainless food. Either way I will slowly take her off the Diamond food.

Regarding your comment about the walks, I am being very careful. We have a huge park near my home. I just explained to my 11 year old that Bess will not be allowed to visit the park or go to the puppy training class at petsmart until she completes her shots. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Thanks again and hope you had a nice weekend.
    Actually, I feed Taste of the Wild, which is grain free. It's just that so many people (myself included) have been on a food roller-coaster, trying to find a food our pup(s) do well on. Once we find that food, no matter what the brand, ingredients, or cost, we tend to stick with it. You will find that people on here feed almost everything from the worst to the best, it just depends on what works for their dog(s).

Parvo is something that your pup can pick up on walks around the block, not just in a dog park. Anywhere other dogs have been is suspect as long as the shots are incomplete, as puppies do not have the immune systems older dogs have. We've had a few members lose pups to parvo, so it's something we are rather sensitive to. You have an adorable pup and we wish you any happy years with her.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Bess is beautiful and she made my 3 stop and stare at the laptop when she howled!

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#