Need Some JL Rusty Help, Please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Some JL Rusty Help, Please

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed Some JL Rusty Help, Please

About a month or six weeks ago, Rusty started developing a rash type outbreak on his underbelly area. Looked like a food reaction type of rash at first but his food and treats hadn't changed . The other two dawgs didn't have anything similar so I discounted it as being food. They all swim in the same waters and are thoroughly warm water washed down afterwards. Again, neither of the other two had anything at all. The rash has continued and has actually begun spreading a week ago. It's now on his rear flanks and a few on each side. Even though it's sparse, it's increasing rather than going away. Are Labradoodles prone to measles? That's what the spots look like.

They don't seem to bother him much as he's not scratching or licking anymore than the other two do. We'd started applying Bacetracin on each but don't want to continue because he DOES lick that off. Looks like a medicated shampoo or vet prescribed meds are the answer but wanted to pick the collective JL brain trust for suggestions/ideas first. TIA

BTW ... Nurse Remi was trying a olfactory diagnosis in that 2nd pic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Looks like an allergic reaction to something. Good luck.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Our dogs get those in the spring sometimes. I thought they were bug bites from something in the grass. They usually go away on their own. They didn't seem to bother our dogs either. Don't know if it's the same thing or not.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Looks environmentally caused to me. Rusty may just be more sensitive to whatever is in the environment than your Labs are. I hope it is temporary with whatever is causing it.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

looks like staph; zena (my yellow girl) had what looked the same last year. all started from one flea bite and she evidently has a flea allergy.

wa-lab is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure if they are the same, but they look just like what our dog gets. She did not start getting them until she was around a year or so old. We have been to the regular vet and a holistic vet and don't have a cure, just a management plan. They are staph skin infections caused most likely by an allergy. We've tried lots of different things, but nothing has cured them. They don't seem to bother her too much, I just keep an eye on them and make sure none are getting too red. For us, we use Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream formula. Chicken and beef based foods cause her to break out more. No wheat, no more snacks or people food with any wheat. She breaks out more if we don't keep up on her flea medicine, so probably a flea allergy also. We tried coconut oil for a while and that helped get things back in balance. When the flares get really bad the vet tried antibiotics and steroids. That seems to really clear things up, but I don't want her on either too often, so we just monitor things. Allergies are not fun.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Is he sleeping on a woollen blanket?

wa-lab is offline Senior Member

Don't discount it as food allergy. We were told that dogs can become allergic to their food after eating it a while, it was even recommended to us to find two different proteins that she could tolerate and switch between them every few months to avoid the body's build up towards that protein. Flea allergies are the most common cause though and all it takes is one flea bite to throw everything out of whack in a sensitive dog. I never saw fleas on Piper, but I do notice an increase in spots if I forget her flea medicine.

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

I should have mentioned, none of the three dawgs have ever once had a flea or tick on them, if you can imagine that. They are checked daily as part of their normal routines and are up on a light colored bedspread where we would see blood or droppings if any "bugs" were present. All three are on Frontline flea med once/mo.
    Last edited by Cappy_TX; 10-06-2010 at 11:30 AM.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

It looks exactly like what HK used to get. The vet diagnosed it a s staph infection and gave us some triple combo antibiotic topical cream to put on them. It did clear it up, but would return as soon as I stopped the ointment.

Then I decided to explore the possibility that it was a food allergy. I switched to a corn and wheat free food, and it hasn't returned since.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast