lab dreams

Thread: lab dreams

Sandy himalayas is offline Senior Member

Defaultlab dreams

Hi!!! Funny question may be ? My lab puppy while sleeping takes out tounge & licks ( he is well fed before sleep) does that means he is dreaming.....?
    I really love the pup & want advise regarding obedience....Starting from abc....he recognise his name & comes on command & thats it....his DOB is 27/08/2009 THANKS A MILLION IN ADVANCE.......I CANT AFFORD OBEDIENCE SCHOOL AS IT IS IN DIFFERENT CITY & I STAY RIGHT WHERE DENCE FOREST STARTS.......
    Last edited by Sandy himalayas; 10-18-2009 at 11:09 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

In many countries (UK, Canada, Aus/NZ, USA) it's recommended that pups stay with their mother and littermates until 7-8 weeks old. This helps socialize them.

Are there any littermates of your puppy nearby? It'd be very helpful to have "play dates" -- socializing sessions with them in order that your pup learns to be friendly with other dogs. As soon as your vet says it's safe for your pup to be around other dogs, please arrange for it to have multiple experiences like this.

The first 25 weeks of life are very important -- critical -- to a puppy's learning to socialize with other dogs and people. I can't locate at the moment my copy of Scott & Fuller's "Genetics and the Social Behavior of Dogs" to verify the time frames but within this period, with multiple dog breeds and many experiments, they discovered that if adequate socialization does NOT occur within this time, the dog may never learn to be social with those creatures with which it did not have much previous pleasant experience.

My Bess came to live with Char and me at 5 weeks age. We didn't have any other dogs around. As a result, Bess was very sociable with people but never with other dogs. Dogs would attempt to play with her and she's either utterly ignore them or, if they were running beside her, she'd give them a body check to send them rolling. If we met a person with a dog, she'd often look at me quizzically as if asking, 'what's this strange thing with the fur suit on?'

As far as dog training goes, let me strongly suggest 2 great resources for you.

One is to use the internet to look up "NILIF, nothing in life is free." This is a method of using a pup's usual 3 meals a day as a time and effective means for brief training.

A second is to get a copy of Jean Donaldson's "Culture Shock". This is a paperback book which tell you how to use mainstream psychology of learning techniques to train your pup. Acceptable, used copies of her book are available for as little as $2 plus shipping and handling.

Oh, one other thing -- you might look on JL for a sub-board called "Training & Puppy Advice" for a link to a long thread to which many people contributed called "Our Best Advice" Nevermind, I'll ETA it here:
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...ic,1694.0.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 10-18-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: ETA link
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks a lot Bob it was helpfull!!!! Thanks for your time posting reply it helped me & would help my pup....greetings from little one!!!!! from far off other part of planet WEST HIMALAYAS

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Boston is offline Senior Member

My pups legs twitch and kick in her sleep. I always assume she is dreaming about running after something!!
    Last edited by Boston; 10-19-2009 at 09:21 PM.