Peeps with Dog Park experience ( Yes Brenda K especially you )
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peeps with Dog Park experience ( Yes Brenda K especially you )

Samson is offline Senior Member

DefaultPeeps with Dog Park experience ( Yes Brenda K especially you )

We have a park that is essentially for the community !

It is used by the football team, by children for picnics ( only in certain areas ) and of course by the local dog population.

90% of the people pick up after their dogs but there are some that sneak onto the field at night with their dogs or let their dogs run free unsupervised with the obvious result.

We have been put on notice by the Parish Council that if things don't improve then the dogs will be banned from the park ! Disaster !

Any suggestions as to how we can tackle this issue ?

WE have notices on all of the gates into the field warning people but still people ignore it ! Tonight I had to extremely reluctantly pick up a pile that had been left by what must have been a Newfie at the very least.

We have started a petition for the Council against the ban but are at a loss at what else we can do other than stake out the field !

Sadly the vehicle gate is locked at night but there are 5 other pedestrian entrances that cannot be locked.

Oh and I doubt that funding would be available for fencing off an area just for the dogs !

I suppose that we have about 30 to 40 regular users that have dogs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

you're gonna have to contact her on F/B...she NEVER comes around here any mo!

Hokay - thanks Sand!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

also check with kelli canuck; i think she was working on something up her way.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

We have areas in our parks here that we can have our dogs off lead if under voice control Not official dog parks. More areas where we can walk them on lead. In all areas we are responsible for picking up after our dogs. Surprise!!!!

Two years ago, the city council was going reworking the park regulations. On the agenda was to ban all offlead privileges, and also to ban onlead within the park boundaries. That set up what was an ugly battle. We, 'Responsible Dog Owners', set up team of ourselves at each park where dogs were commonly walked.

Each team made up cards containing a brief statement of the regulations regarding dogs in the parks and handed them out to anyone we saw with a dog. We made up a flyer with the proposed changes. These to actions and promoting self enforcement increased the numbers of us actively promoting common sense and responsible behavior. At every meeting of the park board for the last two years we fill the meeting room. Every city council meeting when the parks or dogs are on the agenda is filled by the group(s). Once a month we designate one weekend when we go out and execute a poop pick up. It is amazing how many of us show up for this fun task.

The result is that we have not lost any of our privileges. The Park Board and the City Council have both stated that this pick up effort by the city's responsible residents is the primary driver that halted the movement towazrd tighter restrictions. It was also noted that forbidding dogs in the parks, leashed or unleashed would not have stopped those that were not picking up after their dogs.

Bottom line: Talk to your fellow dog walkers. Set up groups of actively concerned dog owners. Go to work. Demonstrate your commitment to control your dogs, and help clean up after those that don't. Keep your eyes open for those that don't clean up after their dogs. Present them with the rules. Recruit them. Embarrass them. Report them.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

I feel the love
    Brenda from Connecticut

joflake is offline Senior Member

Good advice Ed!

Thanks Ed ! Some good pointers there !

It would be really helpful If you could copy the rules that your groups put in place and post or PM them !

This is of real concern to all of us !

And also I appreciate the harm that dog doodies can do especially where dogs are not wormed regularly.

I was considering black legging people who when challenged could not produce a poop bag !

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

I sent you a response on FB, Colin -
    Brenda from Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by MyLabsMom View Post
    I sent you a response on FB, Colin -

Hi Stella ! Missing you :-)

Thanks Bren

Sandy *See* LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast