Laura - how to make the best of a bad situation

Thread: Laura - how to make the best of a bad situation

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultLaura - how to make the best of a bad situation

I know I've seen you say that having 2 puppies at the same time is NOT a good idea...and I firmly believe you are right.

However, in the interest of learning more...what would you suggest if this does happen to either a fellow breeder or to an uneducated owner who turns up here with 2 same age spawns already? Just curious!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Keep them as separated as possible. As I saw with Claire and Raven, they were starting to bond way too much and blocking out everything and everyone else.

Laura

SO - obviously seperate love and training times - but limit play too? God - that's be hard to do for everyone!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luvmykiddos is offline Senior Member

Sorry for butting into this thread. I am one of the uneducated owners that got her pups too close together. I TOTALLY agree with Labby. Thankfully we had Charlie for a month to bond with him before we got Sam. Sam is a shy, timid dog anyway. She just would not bond with us, and showed no interest in us. But she stuck to Charlie like glue (when we weren't around), or just wanted to be by herself in a corner (when Charlie wanted to play and be with us).
    DH and I had to MAKE the time to play with each pup separately. We each tried to play with a pup one-on-one for 5-10 minutes about 3-4 times a day. We'd also switch off pups so one pup wouldn't get too attached to one human. When we started puppy obediance training, we would practice the training with one human to one pup about 3-4 times a day, as well as the play.
    It took Sam about 2 1/2 months before she accepted that we were part of her family (pack?), and not just Charlie.
    I would not change one thing we did now, because I couldn't imagine our days without our *monsters (as they are at this stage in their lives), but I wish the breeder had let us know that a consequence of having two pups so close in age could make the bonding with us possibly difficult.

Kim, Charlie-chocolate, born 1-12-10 & Samantha-yellow, born 2-12-10

You're not butting in - In addition to Laura's input - I was hoping that we could start an informative thread that might help someone somewhere along the way! Thanks!

Cheley is offline Senior Member

I'll jump in with my 2 cents, because I am one of those crazy people who got 2 puppies at the same time. I went with the intentions of getting one yellow puppy, but my boyfriend at the time (now husband) decided that we just had to have a black one too.

I spent a lot of one on one time with each of the girls. We went on separate walks, worked on training separately, and had separate playtimes. Obviously, they spent a lot of time together too. And while they certainly have a deep bond, I feel that they both see me as the leader and respect me (hubby - not so much but he doesn't spend nearly the amount of time with them as I do).

Would I ever get 2 puppies at the same time again? No. It was, and continues to be, a tremendous amount of work. And money. But I love them both dearly and wouldn't trade them for the world.

Kendall and Sophie are now 8 1/2, and I decided that now was a good time to add a puppy into the mix. I wanted to bring in the puppy while Kendall and Sophie are still relatively young and playful. Willow is a bundle of energy and I cannot imagine how I dealt with 2 of those at the same time!!

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

I raised two lab puppies at the same time. We got hunter at 8 weeks and Chrome at 5 months. Chrome was from another litter from the same breeder. before picking him we brought hunter for them to play together to see how it went. We brought him home on a trial after 5 minutes of they getting used to each other, they were best of friends. They get one on one times with both my boyfriend and I. We found Hunter was better behaved when Chrome came. It helped that Hunter was potty trained already before Chrome came home. It has taken a lot of dedication and time. We walk them twice a day, play fetch, drives, send them for play dates. I would say Laura, Don't give up hang in there!!
    Hunter & Chrome