I will be a much better person if I live.........

Thread: I will be a much better person if I live.........

luvmykiddos is offline Senior Member

DefaultI will be a much better person if I live.........

to see my two pups become adult dogs!

Yesterday, I was making dinner while DH was vacuuming in another room. I turn my back for just a second to get something out of the refrigerator. I turn and there is Sam. She is on her hind legs, one front paw on the counter of the stove top, one paw in the air (I assume I caught her in the act of trying to balance herself by putting one paw on the pot) and her head trying to lean into the open pot of braising meat & vegs.
    I yell *Sam, NO!*. I frightened her and she ran to her crate, which she voluntarily stayed in for awhile. I didn't mean to scare her, but in my defense, I think she took a year or two off my life. Her paw seemed fine, but back to the vet we go.

My now 9 & 8 month old pups are really trying to test the limits. I feel like all their training has gone into a void, and my angels are loosing their halos and growing horns.

I know I will be a much better, calmer, patient person IF I live through this new phase my two seem to be going through. How long will that be? Will I have any hair left? If I have hair, will any of it NOT be white?

Kim, Charlie-chocolate, born 1-12-10 & Samantha-yellow, born 2-12-10

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

FWIW, Let's hope you sacred Sam bad enough that she will never do that again! I'm glad no harm was done.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I have no advice for you...it sounds like you have your hands full though. They're going through adolescence...hopefully they'll grow out of it.
    My 2 girls (Java-19 months & Moka-13 months) have never counter surfed or touched food they're not supposed to. Nothing I did specifically-they just don't do it. They won't even touch food left unattended on the coffee table or food that has fallen on the floor. They stare at it-but all I have to say is "Don't even think about it." and they back off and lay down.
    So, I have no idea how to break a dog of this bad behavior.
    Sorry...but good luck!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Oh the teenage years. I'm glad the paw was okay. It is just amazing what they will do & how fast they do it. Mine gave me some moments of making my hair grey. Thank goodness for hair color.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Ah the teen years - good luck. And yes, you will live through it.

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Never thought the Gray hairs were from my dogs, but maybe...for me it is the toddlers that are making mine turn gray. Glad all turned out ok.

justine is offline Senior Member

Yep.. that's the troublemaker stage. Just really keep on top of their training... REALLY keep on top of it.

With something like that I really think you do need to let them know it is NOT OK at all to do that. Kolby is a total food freak, so working on a solid "leave it" with him has been vital - you never know what they could try to pick up off the ground.. and it works well too for things like trying to sniff other dogs, climbing on stuff, etc.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

My trainer refered to that stage as the black hole. Everything they learn just dissapears....lol. Keep going, eventually it will sink in.
    Glad she didnt get hurt tho.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Glad she didn't get hurt.
    I adopted a seasoned counter surfer. I had to put a barrier around the stove as he was forever hooking stuff out of pans. I think their paws have buildl in oven gloves. If I dont watch the toast in the toaster he will have it before I do. We have lost numerous roasts, dinners, lunches to Erns.

I would frighten them and stop the counter surfing. Believe me they get better and better at it and you don't stand a chance.He will create a diversion if he isn't allowed in the kitchen or dinning area...you look...he runs back and like a black ghost hooks your unprotected hot steak off your plate or worse your guests.

The reward of stolen food is worth more than any punishment once it becomes a habit.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/