Behavior Help

Thread: Behavior Help

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

DefaultBehavior Help

Aspen has been doing pretty good. She finally stopped trying to gnaw on people and listens a lot better. Well until she found a new "trick". Her new thing at 4 mnths is jumping up on people and trying to nip there face. It looks like what she does with other puppies/dogs to get them to play but of course it's not okay to do with humans. Also the jumping on people is becoming worse and nothing i try seems to get her to stop. Any suggestions?

Amanda

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Diesel did the same thing to EVERY person that walked by... the jumping on people, not the face nipping. Our trainer suggested I step on his leash to stop a jump. Only problem with this is I found I was not coordinated enough to be in walking mode then stomp on the leash, I always had to stop to do it!

So instead what I started to do was make him sit when someone was headed our way, even if this interrupted our walks, then I would make eye contact with the person approaching & shake my head "no" or just politely say "we're learning manners, please ignore him". When the person got close enough for Diesel to make a jump my foot was already on the leash, keeping him at the same height as sitting & I would say "don't jump". I didn't reward him the first two or three times as I wanted to ensure he really understood the motion with the command. Then I started to use "good boy" & treats even if he did attempt to jump so that he could associate what I was asking of him with his reward.

Eventually he caught on & we were able to stay in walking mode & I replaced the stepping on the leash with just a tug on his collar using the same command & reward. I no longer have to tug him every time someone walks by, but I have to be diligent & pay close attention to his body language! If I see he is going to jump, he gets a tug, "don't jump", "good boy" & a treat. It has really lessened the amount of times he jumps, now he just seems to do it when people are jogging or doing something interesting, he no longer does it to every single passerby as he used to!

Another suggestion... Cesar Millan talks about snapping them out of the moment by shocking the brain. His method involves you tapping the hind quarters with your foot. I don't agree with the physical contact as you could use more force than intended, so you can use something else. Carry a squeaky toy & give it a quick squeeze, a toy water pistol for a quick squirt, or if you whistle just a short & loud whistle. If you do something either audible or physical just to snap them out of their current mindset (shock the brain) you can redirect their attention. I used the water pistol on Diesel for a few days, despite being a water dog it did shock him because it was unexpected. I only stopped because the water pistol kept leaking in my pocket!

Btw... please don't knee Aspen in the chest! Not assuming you would but some may give you this advice, I don't care if it works I think it is just horrible! As well, be careful of people she jumps on, I have had people offer to physically correct Diesel or people that turned & got right into Diesel's (!!) face & screamed F-OFF!! Who tells a puppy to f-off, really?! Try whatever you can until it works, for the enjoyment but more so the safety of your pup! Some people are not dog lovers & are very unpredictable!

Good luck

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

Thanks Diesel! I've been doing the stepping on the leash thing and it seems to help. For some reason though she is jumping up on people and trying to nip them around the house. Me and my friend were outside yesterday sitting in lawn chairs and Aspen was running around (this is all pretty routine for Aspen), then out of no where she jumped up on my friend and started trying to nip at her face. It's just frustrating because once i think i'm making some progress she starts something new.
    The water bottle has corrected other problems. I might have to go back to that. I don't even have to spray her anymore. The minute i pull it out she stops.

I agree with you though, why would anyone tell a puppy to f-off. Luckily we haven't experienced anything like that.

Amanda