Brain stem cell treatment for arthrithis?

Thread: Brain stem cell treatment for arthrithis?

Finnpup is offline Senior Member

DefaultBrain stem cell treatment for arthrithis?

My gf in NJ was telling me about a news paper article about a giant breed dog that received bsc treatment because she had such advanced arthritis in her knees and the treatment worked. The dog can now run and chase balls (she never could before).
    My gf told me a couple of weeks ago, but we were in the middle of 2 computer break downs so I never looked it up, then I forgot until I saw Kelli's post about ACL dogs.
    I will try to find the article and link.
    The question is has anyone heard of this before? I wonder how awful expensive it can be?
    Sounds to good to be true. I know we will be dealing with arthritic knees in the future.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Please post the link if you find it, I´m very interested. Maybe this will help my poor Homer with his ED

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Yep, the surgeon that did my Jax's TPLO is now doing it.
    Check out Vet-Stem and it explains it.
    Dog Stem Cell | Vet-Stem | Arthritis | Tendon Ligament Joint | Horse Cat | San Diego | Equine | Canine | VetCell

i don't think it's "brain" related though.

Jax's doc told me it is $2500 however, think of all the rimadyl or arthritis drugs you would be buying to help the dog as well as the damage NSAIDS do to their liver, etc.

sounds like a great alternative. it's been used on the west coast for several years and just now making it's way east.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I could not find the article gf talked about, but googled brain stem cell treatment in dogs and a whole bunch of info popped up (I <3 google) The leading manufacturer is Vet-Stem. I doubt there is a vet here in the VI that does the therapy but I going to see my vet (at a social event) Friday and I am asking her about it =). BTW they did say they are using it to treat ED. One blogger said it was expensive (didn't say how much) but said it would cost the same using traditional tx for the duration of the dogs life, she was 4 yo when they did it.

No brain, they use fat stem cells. However they are using bone marrow stem cells in trials now.
    Last edited by Finnpup; 09-23-2010 at 11:59 AM.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

read my post above your last one.

I type to slow =)

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe View Post
    Yep, the surgeon that did my Jax's TPLO is now doing it.
    Check out Vet-Stem and it explains it.
    Dog Stem Cell | Vet-Stem | Arthritis | Tendon Ligament Joint | Horse Cat | San Diego | Equine | Canine | VetCell

i don't think it's "brain" related though.

Jax's doc told me it is $2500 however, think of all the rimadyl or arthritis drugs you would be buying to help the dog as well as the damage NSAIDS do to their liver, etc.

sounds like a great alternative. it's been used on the west coast for several years and just now making it's way east.
    You have made me feel so much better today with this. Yesterday the vet said Erns has torn the other knee. She saw him 10 days ago for swelling in his hip so only did it recently. We are at a loss what to do for him now and I didn't sleep much last night.

I wonder if it is done here.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

It looks very interesting, will certainly took a deep look into it and talk to my ortho vet. I´m sure this is not available here in Mexico but if it gives Homer a chance I might be able to take him to the US. He´s just 3 years old and I don´t want to condemn him to a life of pain. He already had elbow surgery but unfortunately it wasn´t very succesful and he started limping about 6 months ago. I currently have him on Adequan, which has worked pretty well, but it is just a paliative.

I already lived 12 years with a lab with HD and it was horrible to know that despite all efforts and treatments nothing really worked as the disease is degenerative