Dizziness???

Thread: Dizziness???

oakley is offline Senior Member

DefaultDizziness???

Hi All,
    Need a little advice on something Oakley is experiencing.
    In June, we were doing some retrieving. It was warm so we didn't do many. She was panting so we went in the house to get a drink. While we were in the house, she got dizzy and unsteady on her feet. It passed so I didnt' worry too much about it. She had another episode a few days later so I cut the land retrieving sessions for the summer. Only water retrieving. Have had no problems with that.
    So tonight, I figure it is cool enough again to do some ball retrieves. I didn't have the chuck it so the throws were not very far. After about 15 mins, I figure, thats probably enough - wanted to avoid her getting dizzy. So I put her on leash and just walked over to a bench to cool down. Then she started again. She was just really unsteady on her feet like she was dizzy. Lasted about 5 mins. I got her some water. She even let me lift her up into the car which is unusual, I never have to lift her.
    She was still panting over an hour later.
    Any ideas what this might be?
    Exercise Induced Collapse? but she isn't collapsing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

How hot is "cool enough"? I only ask because I've been surprised a couple of times when it was clear that Toby was on the verge of real overheating and I didn't think it was all that hot. Otherwise, no advice just good thoughts for Oakley.

nicole is offline Senior Member

Exercised Induced Collapse really isn't the best name they've ever thought of.... some dogs don't actually need exercise (just excitement) and they don't always collapse (unsteady on their feet, "drunken" walking). Chances are that your vet won't know what you're talking about, but you can test her yourself here... Canine Coat Color DNA Testing | VDC You'll have results in less than a week. If that's not what's going on, and she continues to have issues, I'd ask for a consult at your local vet school.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Agree, check for EIC. See U of MN's site: Exercise Induced Collapse - CVM - VDL, University of Minnesota
    They did the research and will take the time to chat with you if you have any questions.

oakley is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone!
    Another question - so if it is EIC wouldn't she experience it after swimming and running around in the water too?

TobysTrix - I am pretty sure it was under 20C last night when we were running.

lisa is offline Senior Member

My first lab Casey experienced a real dizzy episode at around the age of 12 1/2. I came home and found her panting falling down. She would try to stand but would fall. I thought she must have been having a stroke...I was scared to death. I rushed her to the E vet and they diagnosed her with vertigo. The placed her on valium to calm her down and antivert. It took a while for her to recover...but she was better within a week or so.

nicole is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by oakley View Post
    Another question - so if it is EIC wouldn't she experience it after swimming and running around in the water too?
    Not necessarily. They have one (or more) "triggers" that set them off. The dog I know with eic only has issues when playing fetch with a tennis ball. She can play with any other toy under the sun for long periods of time, but too long with her tennis ball and she may get wobbly (doesn't actually collapse) and lays herself down....she just gets too geeked for the stupid ball. Her owner says she wakes up and it's the first thing she looks for! She runs with her owner and swims daily and has no issues there, which is common from what I have read because there is no spike in excitement.