Outsmarted again!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outsmarted again!

luvmykiddos is offline Senior Member

DefaultOutsmarted again!

Charlie's out-smarted me again.

He will *leave it* if he hears the command before he puts *it* in his mouth. Once it's in his mouth, all bets are off! There is no listening, he's in a red zone.

My have handles on all our doors. This smart goof-ball has learned to push the handle down with his nose/paws and push with his face at the same to open the doors. Now he steals all the *prized mommy won't allow me to have* items.

He is very good at *release* with HIS things. He knows the difference between what is his and what isn't. Those who say dogs cannot reason has never owned a lab!

Before, when Charlie was having his theiving ways, we would run the other way, and let him chase us. This only lasted for about two months. He wouldn't chase us anymore. He'd rather keep his *prized* stolen good.

Then we tried the treats. Getting a treat that he really loves to exchange. This has worked for the last 3 months.

But in the last two weeks, he will not even come near us to exchange for his treat. Now DH and I have to chase him together and corner him.

Any ideas that we can try for this way-too-smart-for-his-humans dog's theiving ways?

PS....already looking into changing out our door handles to knobs.

Kim, Charlie-chocolate, born 1-12-10 & Samantha-yellow, born 2-12-10

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Ruh roh, I think someone is too smart for his own good. I don't have any suggestions, but did get a chuckle out of it.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Tempt him with an even tastier treat than the one that he has got and give profuse praise when he hands over the illicit goodies.

I made a point of praising Dylan every time that he let me see what was in his mouth and it now works for the most part.

BTW I'm not bragging ! Only years of getting it wrong tell you what you should have done !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Another temporary fix... Diesel gets really distracted when I say in an extremely excitable voice... "what's that over there?!?!" & point to another direction. This gets his attention & he's distracted long enough for me to do what I need to. It's really funny when he manages to fixate on something I didn't even intend him to notice & he actually drops whats in his mouth almost like he's in awe of what he just discovered.... hee hee Give it a shot!

But yes, our Labs are super smart so I find it works better if you switch it up when something works, don't overuse it otherwise it won't last long! Thanks for the lol

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

Uh oh...I note the Charlie is about 10 months. This is when Remy all the sudden forgot everything he learned and became Marley from Marley and Me. Good luck!!
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Tempt him with an even tastier treat than the one that he has got and give profuse praise when he hands over the illicit goodies.

I made a point of praising Dylan every time that he let me see what was in his mouth and it now works for the most part.
    Would love to try this, but how do I get close enough to him to do this, please? He runs the other way. We have tried steak, porkchops, popcorn, pig ears....all things he prizes. He sees and smells, but still backs away.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Another temporary fix... Diesel gets really distracted when I say in an extremely excitable voice... "what's that over there?!?!" & point to another direction. This gets his attention & he's distracted long enough for me to do what I need to. It's really funny when he manages to fixate on something I didn't even intend him to notice & he actually drops whats in his mouth almost like he's in awe of what he just discovered.... hee hee Give it a shot!
    This is something we haven't tried. Will do. Thanks for the new idea.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

He needs to learn the
    "Drop It" or "spit it out" command when he gets it in his mouth. This command should be given with a deeper serious, no nonsense voice tone.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Ernie used to be like this, but lots of praise, patience and treats he has learned sit..drop. They get smarter and start taking thing so they do get a treat, so once he was better I started giving the treats evey 2nd time. Other people play a game or have a favourite toy that they use only for times like this. The dog looks forward to it. Gems loves balls so on the rare times she gets something I say give..Wanna play ball... She drops and we have a quick ball game.

For things like my slippers, remotes and other things his mouth wont harm I taught him to get them and treat.It became a game and now every night I come home he rushes off to get my slippers.
    I don't close doors as he does open them. Instead I have gates that are mounted a bit higher. He can't get under or over.

I keep the very special treats or biscuits just for when I need them most.

As Colin says. Years of getting it wrong you work out what works.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

honeys dad is offline Senior Member

ah contraband...i stole it fair and square, and i'm keeping it...i know that act..usually its to get our attention.
    she would suddenly grab a slipper, something she had walked by day after day with no interest in...then she would
    show us the prized slipper, shake it at us, and run...that purloined slipper meant more to her than hot dogs, steak, what
    have you....a tag team worked for us..would corner her, get a little stern
    with the voice, and eventually she would drop it. luckily, that phase seems over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast