ACL/CCL recovered dog owners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACL/CCL recovered dog owners

kelli is offline Senior Member

DefaultACL/CCL recovered dog owners

That title didn't make any sense.. but for anyone who's had a dog that has fully recovered from these.. i have a question..

Is it ever okay to run them on pavement? Is it worth the risk? I was thinking of taking koda out running with me on roller blades.. but then i'm just not sure if it could have some repercussions.. anyone know? I don't have to go faster than a normal human's jog rate (sweat? no thanks!) but would the hard impact be bad for her?

It has been over a year now since her second surgery.

kelli, tucker and koda

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I would think that it would be ok, although like with humans, running on pavement does take it's toll on joints eventually.
    Java is 27 weeks and 17 weeks post TPLO and she's at the point where she is allowed to run. We do take her off lead to the park, which has a 2 mile paved loop. She does run on it, but also in the woods. I think she feels more comfortable running on grass and in the woods than she does on pavement. I would say that the impact on pavement is much harder, but I don't know that it would cause any more injury.

Maybe try it out and see how she feels afterwards...either that or put a call in to her ortho surgeon and ask them.

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

If Koda had repair by TPLO I would not worry. There is not much she can do to injure anything after that amount of time. If Koda had traditional there is always the chance that it could fail. I would take Tank out for a mild jog when he was younger (he had both legs repaired by TPLO) but Tank never was much of a runner to begin with and at 12 best he can do is walk up to the mailbox and back
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Kona would run occasionally with my daughter without any problems (on our road). He ran in the field with no issues with his rear legs (he had traditional repair).
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Koda had traditional as well.. I hate to risk it since it's not worth the problems it would cause.. but how fun would that be for both of us? Y'know?

kelli, tucker and koda

Quote Originally Posted by kelli View Post
    Koda had traditional as well.. I hate to risk it since it's not worth the problems it would cause.. but how fun would that be for both of us? Y'know?
    Is there a trail you could go jogging with her on? All the pine needles and leaves, plus the dirt would soften the impact and lessen the strain on her knees.
    At this point, even though Koda had the traditional, the scar tissue should be sufficiently built up so the line is irrelevant. I doubt there is a chance of failure at this point. I would worry more about how the impact on the pavement would feel for her, especially because the likelihood of arthritis is greater for Koda because of the surgeries.
    Is she on a good joint supplement?

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    Is there a trail you could go jogging with her on? All the pine needles and leaves, plus the dirt would soften the impact and lessen the strain on her knees.
    At this point, even though Koda had the traditional, the scar tissue should be sufficiently built up so the line is irrelevant. I doubt there is a chance of failure at this point. I would worry more about how the impact on the pavement would feel for her, especially because the likelihood of arthritis is greater for Koda because of the surgeries.
    Is she on a good joint supplement?
    She runs.. that's not what i'm asking, really.. it's the pavement question i'm more curious about because rollerblades/biking would be fun for both of us.. i don't do jogging.. but this would be something different we could do rather than the walks/runs we currently do in the bush.. that's all.

She's on liquid gluc

kelli, tucker and koda

Quote Originally Posted by kelli View Post
    She runs.. that's not what i'm asking, really.. it's the pavement question i'm more curious about because rollerblades/biking would be fun for both of us.. i don't do jogging.. but this would be something different we could do rather than the walks/runs we currently do in the bush.. that's all.

She's on liquid gluc
    I know that's not what you're asking...it's not what I was trying to say. I was just suggesting that if you could find a more wooded "trail" to bike ride on it may be more comfortable on Koda's knees than running on pavement. I know that the impact on pavement is much harder on the joints, especially the knees...so if it was dirt with leaves or pine needles it would be softer.
    I wouldn't think though, that maybe doing something like that on pavement once a week, for a controlled period of time (30 mins. or so) would be that detrimental to her knees.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

i wouldn't do it!!! not worth the risk. the pavement is not good for her joints and being that she had traditional repair, there is the chance it could fail and then you are looking at TPLO...not worth it IMO.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I'm going to be an outlier and say go ahead occasionally Obviously start slow and give her a chance to build up some muscles, and I wouldn't do it every day - but I wouldn't jog any of my dogs on pavement every day CCL repair or not.

The point of a traditional repair isn't to replace the ligament and it's not meant to last a lifetime. When the CCL ruptures the body tries to "repair" the damage by increasing scar tissue on the medial aspect (inner knee), the problem is that things are so wobbly the scar tissue just breaks down and "healing" takes forever. A traditional repair (lateral suture I assume?) stabilizes the joint so scar tissue can form on the medial aspect and stabilize the knee. Theoretically, once that scar tissue has formed you can cut the lateral suture and the stability of the joint is no different. Some animals get irritation from the suture material and have it removed eventually. At this point post-op the stress placed on her lateral suture when she's bearing weight on the legs is minimal - it's not the supporting structure of her knees.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast