What do you think?

View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a believer! I have put his techniques to the test and they truly work for us!

10 43.48%
  • I am skeptical. I watch him sometimes, but I am not convinced he is as good as people think.

13 56.52%
  • Who the heck is Cesar Millan?!

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

QuestionWhat do you think?

Personally, I watch the Dog Whisperer religiously & Cesar Millan has made a tremendous difference in myself as a dog owner & how Diesel responds to me. I find his methods just make so much sense for us & they truly work!

What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I think some of his ideas and concepts make sense, but some of his training methods I do not agree with.

all_about_kimber is offline Senior Member

I so agree Im the same way the day I brought Kimber home I started watching him and it has helped me in so many ways I would just love to meet him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I think his ideas are dated and flawed. I hate that his show has put the dominance theory into the average owners mind - it's nonsense to think that the average dog is interested in dominating it's humans. Their success as a species has been due to the very opposite kind of behavior.

You should include in your poll - "Thinks Cesar Milan is full of shit" - see what kind of vote that gets.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

hunterchrome is offline Senior Member

I watch Cesar Milan fairly often and find it somewhat helpful. We took the dogs to be trained at a non-treat training method place that was based on Cesar's techniques. it was quickly discovered that not all his methods work on all dogs. Worked okay on Chrome but not on Hunter. He says don't let your dog on the bed or the couch, well we let our boys on the couch and they can sleep on the bed once an a while (most of the time they sleep better in their crates). Cesar Milan is doing a canadian tour and I applied to have Hunter on his live show as a demo dog to fix his eating too fast behavior, pulling on lead and lunging in excitment at other dogs. He is always talking about getting your dog calm before feeding them. I would like him to show me how to get both dogs calm at the same time for feeding. I will be waiting hours for them to calm before they eat.
    Hunter & Chrome

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunterchrome View Post
    I watch Cesar Milan fairly often and find it somewhat helpful. We took the dogs to be trained at a non-treat training method place that was based on Cesar's techniques. it was quickly discovered that not all his methods work on all dogs. Worked okay on Chrome but not on Hunter. He says don't let your dog on the bed or the couch, well we let our boys on the couch and they can sleep on the bed once an a while (most of the time they sleep better in their crates). Cesar Milan is doing a canadian tour and I applied to have Hunter on his live show as a demo dog to fix his eating too fast behavior, pulling on lead and lunging in excitment at other dogs. He is always talking about getting your dog calm before feeding them. I would like him to show me how to get both dogs calm at the same time for feeding. I will be waiting hours for them to calm before they eat.
    Thats the idea, there is NO quick fix.

What I like about Cesar is that he's made dog training socially acceptable. Before, people just assumed all dogs were out of control, now some understand that dogs don't just behave that way out of spite.

People used to think I was mean for not allowing my dogs behave like Neanderthals now, its accepted that they just behave, and they don't think they're beaten anymore.
    Last edited by Luvmydog2much; 09-19-2010 at 10:33 PM.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

sloigo is offline Senior Member

With having a multiple dog home & moving fosters in & out.....just like people dogs respond to traing differently! I tell all adoptors, "ASK a trainer if you can observe, a good trainer should be ok with you watching a bit." People & dogs learn differently, both should be ok with the training style. I use tips from both "its me or the dog" & Cesar, just depends on the dog & the request/outcome. Their styles are very different but I want the quickest or easiest (for the DOG) way to the desired request.
    Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
    Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
    Kiana YL 5/2006
    Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
    Liberty 7/2/2009
    **Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
    *Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*

LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I like to keep an open mind to all training methods, and use what seems to work best for each dog. Caesar's methods often work best for problem dogs like my Duke.

I have learned alot about how dogs communicate by watching his show and I apply some of his training methods to Apollo. When I first decided to get Apollo I bought and read his book, "How to Raise the Perfect Dog". So far, most of what he wrote has applied very well for my dog. Nonetheless, I have also applied many of the training techniques that people have posted on here, and I am truly grateful for all of the knowledge on this site! I also use some techniques from a book that I read when I was training my first dog when I was still in gradeschool. I have found that the treat method works best for Apollo because, simply put, he will do anything for food! Even if he is already stuffed to the max...though I don't let him get that far!

joflake is offline Senior Member

I don't like his techniques.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast