One of those "Good to be alive"days

Thread: One of those "Good to be alive"days

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultOne of those "Good to be alive"days

Yesterday, was a "day off" from Doggie Day Care. So I stayed home to play with the dogs and get some yard work done.

Started out after breakfast with all the dogs out while I was gardening. Kodi was chasing butterflies, dragonflies and shadows. (She would make an AWESOME cutting horse)! Belle was just laying there sometimes in the sun, sometimes in the shade, taking in the world. Napping occasionally (just like a retired girl should). Hoss was sniffing around and occasionally giving chase to Maddy and Concho. Concho and Maddy were investigating the world and playing bitey face for about an hour.

About a half hour into it, I see a very small Gater Snake slither away and into a patch of weeds. COOL! I get close to the weed patch and hear this VERY LOUD hiss. Makes me gasp and of course all the dogs must come over and see what Mom has found....Hoss seems to think I must be defended from something (he is such a good boy...he be the man of the house)! Turns out to be a very large Hognosed snake curled up. So, all dogs get some "snake training" in...not because Hognose snakes are poisonous (it actually is hard to get them to bite, they eat exclusively toads), but I do not want them to harass wildlife.

Through the rest of the day I actually get all four dogs trained, trials trimmed, and part of the lower pasture mowed to help with some of the longer marks I am asking the training dogs to do. I have Concho back for a month (the silver lab) and by gosh, by the end of the day he was steady to shot! (He is over the top as far as drive is concerned). Both he and Maddy learned "place" (so that in hunting they can be put on a platform while the hunters shoot, and for training casting). He and Maddy are so smart it is an absolute joy to train them. They are very different in personalities...like complete opposites!

So, by the end of the day everyone is tired, happy and have learned a lot. (Me too, both Hoss and Kodi showed that when the dummy launcher is involved (marks out to about 70 yards), they loose their concept of precision heeling, fronts and finishes...homework!

Perfect day!
    Last edited by Belles mom; 09-15-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you had a wonderful day! I love it when I can stay home all day with the critters.

yay for good days!
    Harmony and

Lovely Lola CGC

Polliwog (Polly) RIP
    May 19, 2012 - Dec 9, 2012

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Run Lola Run View Post
    yay for good days!
    Hey Harmony! Good to see ya back here again!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Swamplily is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a great day!
    Abby, Blk Lab, born 12-15-05
    Taco, Beagle, gotcha 1-15-09
    Ernie - Y-Farms Honest Ernesto, CGC, Blk Lab, born 10-4-09

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

That sounds like a really awesome day! Jealous!