One week but 3 legs again? (incision pic)

Thread: One week but 3 legs again? (incision pic)

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

DefaultOne week but 3 legs again? (incision pic)

It's been a week today. But, Kona refused to put weight on her leg last night - and again this morning.
    This has me concerned because up until last night she was using the leg gently, limping when we had potty breaks, but using it and seemed to be progressing each day.
    She's still on her painkillers obviously (Percocet and Metacam), but no more antibiotics.

I'm also a little concerned about the top half of her incision. It's quite red and swollen compared to the rest of the incision, and almost seems a little raw looking? (the skin fold covers it a bit when she's sitting so you can't see it all)

I'm thinking a checkup at the vet is needed to ease my mind - opinions?

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I am thinking at where the redness is it might just be the location, the bend of her leg.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Is there any fluid leaking out of it? Is the leg warm to the touch in that area at all? Those are signs of an infection. If it eases your mind, give the vet a call. I think it still looks ok, but definitely keep a good eye on it. If it is leaking fluid or is warm/hot to the touch give the vet a call and bring her in. An infection *could* cause the 3 legging also.

As far as 3 legging it-you will notice that they will do that off and on throughout the recovery. Java is 16 weeks post op (TPLO) on her left leg and occassionally, when she is just standing there I will notice that she is putting less weight on that leg.
    She's only a week out from surgery, so she still has alot of healing to do and I'm sure the leg is still sore. Some dogs will toe touch or limp on their surgery leg for a few months.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the info! That's good to know I should watch for that - in the back of my mind I figured she'd be off an on with respect to using the leg, but I tend to question everything! :P

Went home on my lunch hour to let them out and give Kona her mid-day meds, and she was toe-touching and gently using the leg, so I guess the pain-killers kicked in or something. Thanks very much!

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmers View Post
    Thanks for the info! That's good to know I should watch for that - in the back of my mind I figured she'd be off an on with respect to using the leg, but I tend to question everything! :P

Went home on my lunch hour to let them out and give Kona her mid-day meds, and she was toe-touching and gently using the leg, so I guess the pain-killers kicked in or something. Thanks very much!
    Anytime-I've been exactly where you are, TWICE. So I know what you're going through and all the worries that you have. I've had them too. I learned a thing or two along the way, so if I can help in any way or answer any questions just let me know!!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Kim, watch for warmth, reddness and any drainage from the site. if you are nevous, call the vet. it may reassure you. Continued good thoughts for Kona.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Yep, off and on three legging it is NORMAL. I found this out after spending another $200 on an xray to "ease my mind". Jax sailed through his first surgery to easily, I expected the 2nd to be the same. WRONG! Hang in there!