Day 2 of Anxiety Wrap. I don't know what I'm doing.

Thread: Day 2 of Anxiety Wrap. I don't know what I'm doing.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultDay 2 of Anxiety Wrap. I don't know what I'm doing.

Simon is wearing it again. He wagged a lot when I got it out, which I am assuming means that he remembers it from last night and thought it was an enjoyable experience. ?

I'm going to let him wear it for half an hour, then I'll switch and put it on Angus.

I really don't know exactly what I should be doing with this thing. Should I just put it on them every night, sort of like their little mini-meditation time every evening? Or should I be using it in conjunction with counter-conditioning for something? Or not yet with the counter-conditioning? Would it be good to let them sleep in it? Or no?

If any of you who have used it or know someone who has have ideas about a protocol, I'm all ears.

At any rate, it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. I'm going to keep doing it for a few days like this, and if all goes well I'm going to order another for Angus.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Surely you only need to put it on when there is a stressful situation such as a thunderstorm ?

Not necessarily. If you were using it only for thunderstorms, then after a period of acclimation you might only use it that way. But for different uses, such as generalized anxiety for example, one might choose to use it for a period every day say, for a week.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

I've also heard it works well for anxiety some dogs get with riding in a car or when expecting visitors. I'm thinking of getting one for our golden for thunderstorms/fireworks. Other than that, I have nothing to add, but look forward to future reports.

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

The person i saw use it had it on her dogs "most" of the time (at least while they were at class...in their ex-pen). Like I said before, these are rather anxious dogs to start with (read "afraid" to do anything wrong, because their owner will get down on them pretty hard).

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    The person i saw use it had it on her dogs "most" of the time (at least while they were at class...in their ex-pen). Like I said before, these are rather anxious dogs to start with (read "afraid" to do anything wrong, because their owner will get down on them pretty hard).
    Thanks Karen! So it sounds like something you could take them out in, if whatever tended to bother them happened outside the house (for us, it might be good on walks). However, so far, it seems to pretty much immobilize both boys. Much like a cone does at first. I don't think they know they can actually walk around in it yet.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

May I pull a hypothesis out of my butt? I might suggest that you start by doing it every day during a calm time, so they just get used to wearing it. Then, after a while, if there is a particular activity/time of day where the boys tend to get overly amped up (for some dogs it's mealtimes), have them wear it then. There must be a protocol for using it somewhere online...

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio View Post
    May I pull a hypothesis out of my butt? I might suggest that you start by doing it every day during a calm time, so they just get used to wearing it. Then, after a while, if there is a particular activity/time of day where the boys tend to get overly amped up (for some dogs it's mealtimes), have them wear it then. There must be a protocol for using it somewhere online...
    LOL!

I have been thinking exactly along these lines Nathan.

The website and literature I received focused mostly on use for thunderstorms. The suggestion was to put it on 20 minutes in advance of the thunderstorm (or other stress-inducing event) when possible.

Really, the only disappointment so far with the product is not enough instructions. It could use at least a small booklet, I think. And I think there is probably a way to use it as part of a training program, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. I think I have a good tool with this, though.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post
    LOL!

I have been thinking exactly along these lines Nathan.

The website and literature I received focused mostly on use for thunderstorms. The suggestion was to put it on 20 minutes in advance of the thunderstorm (or other stress-inducing event) when possible.

Really, the only disappointment so far with the product is not enough instructions. It could use at least a small booklet, I think. And I think there is probably a way to use it as part of a training program, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. I think I have a good tool with this, though.
    I see a small fortune in your future! Take pictures and videos of the boys. experiment with various uses and take notes of your findings. Design a similar wrap, maybe the Angimon Anxiety Reducer 2010, get some scientific mumbo jumbo and produce the DVD on how to use it!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

The Angimon! LOLOL!