Just Labradors banner

Sunnyview's Captain Cork

4K views 34 replies 34 participants last post by  Dixies Mom 
#1 ·
Sunnyview's Captain Cork has been retired. Laryngeal Paralysis has ended Cappy's 11 season long hunting career. He'll be undergoing surgery within the next two weeks that should make breathing and eating much less of a challenge for him. Because the opening flaps to the larynx will be pinned back to assist his breathing, he'll no longer be able to instinctively close them to prevent water, seeds, etc from entering into his lungs when hunting or even running around outdoors here at home in other than the mowed lawn areas.

During Cappy's career he retrieved well over 1,500 ducks, geese and upland birds while hunting. In addition to those, he's retrieved countless others during training. Cappy has been that "one in a lifetime" dawg that everyone should experience. Of the nine that I've owned and trained, he has been the most special to me. The proverbial kindred spirit. In addition, he was best friend to Duke our Llewellin Setter, and with 6 year old Remi who learned everything she knows about hunting from Cappy. For the past six months he's been Rusty's mentor and big buddy.

Cappy's very first retrieves in March of 2000 at age 3 months.

An aging eleven year old Cappy last January, on the final day of season, looking wistfully skyward for more birds.

His final retrieve was on Saturday, September 11th, when he picked up a Teal here at home and struggled to make the 30 yard return back to me.

Thanks for the almost 12 years of friendship, devotion and 110% effort you gave at all times as a hunting companion. Daddy loves you son and wants you better very soon, we all still need you.

See less See more
#12 ·
Oh boy. That was one hell of a tribute - I can feel how special he is through your words. We love you Cappy.

#21 ·
Boy Cappy's had a rough year. Here's to an uneventful surgery and recovery, for a long-lived retirement and LOTS of cookies.

#25 ·
Oh Jim, that was beautiful. Cappy has really had a rough year. I hope the surgery is successful and uneventful. My SIL just went through it with their 13 y/o chocolate girl. Her hunting and retrieving days are passed now too. But she is recovering really well. I will keep Cappy in my prayers too. I love the pictures from last hunting season. Those are treasured memories along with the other 12 years with Cappy. He truly is your heart dog - we can feel the love through your words. Hugs to all of you. :hug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.