Collars vs. Harness

Thread: Collars vs. Harness

AmandaPea is offline Junior Member

DefaultCollars vs. Harness

Hey Guys!

It's time for me to get new collars for my 2 chocolate labs. They're a little rowdy on the leash sometimes, but have no neck or respiratory problems. What do you all reccomend, a collar or harness?

Also, we're going through 2-3 rabies/ID tags every year on each dog. They simply wear right through them. Any tips or advice on making those last longer?

Thanks for the input!
    Amanda

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

when you say rowdy do they pull?
    I personally love the sensation harness ... or the easy walk harness depending on how they fit the dog ...

I know people who laquer tags or use clear nail polish on them
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

We really only use leashes when we take them to the vet. Around home or the farm, they simply walk beside us.

I haven't had much trouble keeping the print on their tags, they just wear through the tag so quickly. After just a few months the tag will not stay on the collar.

This tag is just 3 weeks old
    Last edited by AmandaPea; 09-12-2010 at 07:57 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cousin kenny is offline Banned

I like a harness , but my evil pup chews them right in half . lol not joking

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Unless you're talking about a harness specificly to prevent pulling (like the Sensation or Easy Walk Harness), harnesses really don't offer control. If you're having trouble with your dogs acting up on a leash, I'd suggest training classes.

How do you mean you're going through 2-3 tags per year? I'm assuming they aren't wearing through the rabies tags, but losing them. I've been using small circular key rings to hang tags on ever since my first Lab lost 3 state licenses in one year back in the late '70s. They hold much better than the S hooks or rings that come with tags. There are a couple of places that make really good, long lasting ID tags. I like Lucky Pet's tags
    ( Pet ID Tags, Dog Tags, Collars, Leashes! ) . The last one I bought lasted over 10 years before it got a chip along the edge (others had been replaced only because of new addresses).

Caleb actually has military style dog tags with rubber silencers I bought from a place that makes replacements tags for the Armed Forces (to go with his Air Force digital camo collar and tag I bought him at Nellis Air Force Base).

We're not really needing a harness to help control them on the leash, just wondered if they were better than collars for day-to-day activity.

This rabies tag is only 2-3 weeks old. We really haven't had trouble with them loosing them, them just literally wearing out and comming off. I was curious if other lab owners had the same issue

Thanks for the tip about the "silencer" dog tags... I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the help!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marks