Just Labradors banner

Running wild

715 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  dweck 
#1 ·
I am wondering how to train a lab to stay in his own yard. We have 2.5 acres of land for our dog to run on, when we let him of his runner. Every so often when we let off so we can play with him, such as letting him fetch a ball or play tug of war so he can runn off some energy, he will all of a sudden just bolt from the yard and most often into the subdivsion next to us. When we walk him in the yard we do it around the perimeter hoping he will learn what his boundaries are. He ran off on my husband and then me a little later. I am a decent runner and was able to get him but my husband had to get his truck. Any advice on how to train him to stay in his own yard without having to put up a fence? Or is this something that will take time?

#2 ·
Time. Until he learns his boundaries and is reliable, use a long line so you can reel him back in. I would be very worried about him bolting off and getting hit by a car.

In the meantime, work on training a reliable recall. Rules of thumb:

1) Never punish a dog for coming to you (e.g., don't call them to you when they've been naughty and scold or otherwise punish).

2) Always make recalls a very rewarding experience. Make it the best thing ever for them, with lavish praise. Make it rain treats upon them. Every time they do it.

3) Start small and gradually increase distance and distractions in the environment. This usually means starting inside the house.

4) Practice it often. Recall them several times a day.

5) Never say the word "come" (or whatever you have chosen as your recall word) if you're not 100% sure they'll comply. You don't want them to think "come" is optional.

#5 ·
We have about 3 acres of lawn area, and we ended up putting in an Invisible Fence to keep him safe. Prior to the fence going in we put him on a long line. It wasn't connected to anything, he just dragged it around the yard; it made it easier to get him and reel him in if needed. We couldn't keep him in the yard prior to the IF, I would open the door to let him out (I would go with him) and 20 seconds later I would hear him jump in the pond.

#8 ·
We have several acres and installed an invisable fence on a little over an acre. Abby was good about staying close until you were distracted. Then she would swim across the river, visit the neighbors, and bring us back shoes.

#9 ·
Search the "Our Best Advice" section for details, but Connie's got it......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.