Just Labradors banner

Why "chocolate" and not "brown"

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  HersheyK's Dad 
#1 ·
This is a very pointless question but...why do they use the term chocolate rather than brown in the standard?

#2 ·
I dunno Tanya. When I was whelping a rescue, the first puppy that popped out was brown, and of course I deemed it 'Chocolate' my friend who was there is a Westie breeder, and she laughed and said something along the lines of 'its just brown'. We had no idea what breeds were in there, but it remained 'the chocolate' puppy though it ended up with long hair :)

#3 ·
Tanya, that is a good question. I've also wondered why are our much-loved brown babies (aka "Chocolates") the only ones named after food.

We know many of our labby babies are highly food motivated, so why not call yellows as "vanilla" and blacks "licorce"???

#5 ·
That's a good question. The other day I was reading the local classifieds in the paper and there was an ad for lab puppies from a very obvious BYB: $200 a pup, not registered, and they said they had 4 black, 1 chocolate and 3 vanilla pure bread labrador pups.

Vanilla? LMAO

#8 ·
LOL, nobody ever uses "brown". Peanut is classifies as a "red", and while her coat does have a reddish tinge, she's basically brown.

Poodles can come in "chocolate" as well, brown pointers are called "liver", etc.

I think because "brown" can have so many different shades they use words like "chocolate", "red", and "liver" to try and more accurately describe the shade. :)

#12 ·
I think because "brown" can have so many different shades they use words like "chocolate", "red", and "liver" to try and more accurately describe the shade. :)
That is my guess too.

I also call my dogs based on their colors/size. Big brown dog (or just brown dog), and little black dog (or just black dog). A lady at a park heard me do it once, and she said, "Not very original." :D

#17 ·
So, if we as lab owners set the pace as far as what their colors are refered to as...can we just set the new trend??? :)

So, my thoughts are...

Brown = Chocolate or Brownie (mmmm)
Yellow = Vanilla or Blonde
Black = Licorice or Oreo (my Angel has her little white aging marks...totally an oreo!)

#20 ·
Good thing they are called Chocolate or HK would likely not be in our house.

Early 07, DW says, 'I want a Chocolate Lab.' Let me assure you that she would have never said, brown lab, or dark brown lab. She likes fancy names that remind her of food, chocolate being one of the best. So, I am really happy that HK is a Chocolate Lab. That is my position and there is no logic to change my mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.