Anxiety Wrap - anyone ever used this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety Wrap - anyone ever used this?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnxiety Wrap - anyone ever used this?

https://anxietywrap.com/default.aspx

Has anyone ever used this, or do you know anyone who has?

I'm tempted to try it.

Simon is very reactive to noises, e.g. thunderstorms, cell phones, alarms, and especially the toaster.

Angus has another list of things to which he is reactive. Not noises, but he is overly sensitive to any changes in his environment.

They both could use something to help them learn to calm themselves, which is what some say this product can do. I'm interested because our behaviorist recommended a head halter for both of them - not necessarily for the walking, although that would be a side benefit, but according to her dogs who wear these are often calmed by simply putting them on. Apparently it contacts calming accupressure points.

We have not tried the head halters, but this seems to take it even a step further.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with it...
    Last edited by AngusFangus; 09-09-2010 at 03:34 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

I have the one called Thundershirt. It got great reviews by a few people on the other forum that are F/B friends. Seems it works pretty good for t-storms. I got it for Dutch and his craziness on car rides. Didn't phase him. It has a 30 day guarantee/money back, but I kept it in case I have a foster that is storm phobic.

Thanks Sandy!

I wonder if it might work for other calming uses too. Most of the testimonials on the site are about thunderstorm-phobic dogs. Maybe I'll try one and see if it works...if it does, I'll get one for both of them. I can see it being something we might use on walks, especially where there would be lots of other dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I've heard good things (I don't remember from where, though, maybe the rescue I volunteered for??)

2blacklabs is offline Senior Member

I had a miniature dachshund that used to have issues riding in a car and thunderstorms. I had done some research on line and read up on wrapping techniques for anxiety but I used an ace bandage and wrapped him a special way (don't quite remember, was a long time ago). I had also put a tight onsie on him.....ok, you are not finding a onsie that big! The ace bandage wrapping seemed to help and it was a lot cheaper - then again, he was alot smaller than a lab.

OK, I just ordered one. I think it might be good to try, especially with thunderstorms for Simon - then we'll see if it's also useful for anything else.

Interesting: You order by chest size, measure right behind the front legs. Angus: 29 7/8". Simon: 30" even. So I can use the same one for both of them! If it seems like it might benefit Angus too, I'll get him his own.

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

Let us know if it is helpful...My sister is a Dr, when I started to have anxiety issues (post 9/11) she showed my DH some pressure points to use on me, IT WORKS! I still have issues but he is able to "love" them all away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mama3tikes View Post
    Let us know if it is helpful...My sister is a Dr, when I started to have anxiety issues (post 9/11) she showed my DH some pressure points to use on me, IT WORKS! I still have issues but he is able to "love" them all away.
    Aw, that's so sweet of him to learn those for you. I'm glad they help!

I really believe in acupuncture/accupressure too. My acunpuncturist was the one who finally stopped me from crying every day when I lost Crash. I didn't go to her right away...the crying had lasted a very long time (close to a year). She was so kind about it. When I explained it to her, I started crying again, of course. I remember her looking so sympathetic, and saying something like (in her adorable broken English), "A little crying is OK. Crying every day is no good."

She gave me one treatment, and it just STOPPED. Just like that. I was still sad, and of course I still cry sometimes because I miss him and love him...but the uncontrollable crying every day ceased right away. Like magic. That was the biggest success I ever had with acupuncture.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I have a friend that used an anxiety wrap about 5-6 years ago on her Goldens. While I am not exactly sure what their problems were, or if the wrap "truly" helped, but the dogs turned out relatively normal. (How is THAT for a recommendation??)??? This owner is VERY obsessive about competition and owns some WELL known Golden pedigreed dogs. The dogs had "issues" in their early years with anxiety. I do well remember them being wrapped in ace bandages though. What created their anxiety and what "solved"it I am not sure, but they have both done well!!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    I have a friend that used an anxiety wrap about 5-6 years ago on her Goldens. While I am not exactly sure what their problems were, or if the wrap "truly" helped, but the dogs turned out relatively normal. (How is THAT for a recommendation??) This owner is VERY obsessive about competition and owns some WELL known Golden pedigreed dogs. The dogs had "issues" in their early years with anxiety. I do well remember them being wrapped in ace bandages though. What created their anxiety and what "solved"it I am not sure, but they have both done well!!
    "Normal" sounds heavenly to me! Thanks for the story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast