Invisible Fence on Waterfront Property?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invisible Fence on Waterfront Property?

WhiteLab103 is offline Junior Member

DefaultInvisible Fence on Waterfront Property?

We will be moving into a new home shortly that has water access. Our lab just loves the water and just bolts in whenever she sees it! We want to install an invisible fence since no1 in the neighborhood has "visible" fences, but we're torn on what to do along the waterfront. If we were to install it across, would it be too confusing when we allow her to go in the water? Or would it be better to leave that area open and risk her going in when we don't want her to. We live in Michigan, so the water will freeze during the winter and I definitely don't want her on the ice. Hmmm does that answer my question then? Any thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

momofalab is offline Senior Member

In my opinion, I think you will be sending mixed messages if you take her in and out of the enclosure. Could there be a way to enclouse the front off, and leave the back open for when you want water access?

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I have a similar situation. I have a 7 acre pond in my backyard, and didn't want him going in whenever he wanted. We have an invisible fence that goes all the way around our property (stops maybe 20 feet in front of the pond). Bauer knows the difference in collars. If he is wearing his IF collar, he doesn't go near the pond. If we are taking him swimming or for a walk for that matter, he is wearing his flat collar and a leash. Once we get past the boundry, I take the leash off. He knows the difference.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I would do invisible fence, but a real fence with a gate for access by the waterfront. (Curious, what type of water - brook, river, pond, etc?).

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

We will be on a canal not far from the lake itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    I have a similar situation. I have a 7 acre pond in my backyard, and didn't want him going in whenever he wanted. We have an invisible fence that goes all the way around our property (stops maybe 20 feet in front of the pond). Bauer knows the difference in collars. If he is wearing his IF collar, he doesn't go near the pond. If we are taking him swimming or for a walk for that matter, he is wearing his flat collar and a leash. Once we get past the boundry, I take the leash off. He knows the difference.
    Good idea! Does your dog get nervous when you get close to the boundary or does your dog really know the difference in collars? My in-laws have an invisible fence and whenever we leave their house for a walk, Serra (my pup), gets nervous. You can tell because her tail gets low, walks slowly and definitely clings to our side!

Quote Originally Posted by momofalab View Post
    In my opinion, I think you will be sending mixed messages if you take her in and out of the enclosure. Could there be a way to enclouse the front off, and leave the back open for when you want water access?
    Not really. The water is in the backyard where we would be launching the boat which she tags along on. We have a half acre, but all of its in the backyard, so the possibility of her rooming in the front isn't there.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLab103 View Post
    Good idea! Does your dog get nervous when you get close to the boundary or does your dog really know the difference in collars? My in-laws have an invisible fence and whenever we leave their house for a walk, Serra (my pup), gets nervous. You can tell because her tail gets low, walks slowly and definitely clings to our side!
    He definitely knows the difference. The fence hasn't been on for months, but he doesn't know that. I hooked his leash to the IF collar once (not thinking), and tried to take him across the boundry. He sat down and refused to budge. I realized what the problem was, switched collars and he happily pranced along.

He did get nervous at first, but it didn't take very long for him to figure it out. Originally I think he knew based on the leash. If he had a leash on, he was fine. We went through the full 2 week recommended training time to get him acclimated with the boundry before we ever let him loose on his own. We have never had a problem with him going through the boundry. He will chase a cat or rabbit toward the boundry, but he always stops.
    Last edited by BauersMom; 09-09-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    He definitely knows the difference. The fence hasn't been on for months, but he doesn't know that. I hooked his leash to the IF collar once (not thinking), and tried to take him across the boundry. He sat down and refused to budge. I realized what the problem was, switched collars and he happily pranced along.

He did get nervous at first, but it didn't take very long for him to figure it out. Originally I think he knew based on the leash. If he had a leash on, he was fine. We went through the full 2 week recommended training time to get him acclimated with the boundry before we ever let him loose on his own. We have never had a problem with him going through the boundry. He will chase a cat or rabbit toward the boundry, but he always stops.
    Thanks for the info!!!!

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

Took Dinozzo for a walk in the Canal Park tonight and, true to his Lab genes, dived into the canal. The fisherman on the canal bank wasn't too impressed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast