Panting

Thread: Panting

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultPanting

Cappy will be 12 in January. Last few years have been a little rough on him with injuries and cancer surgery. He's a real trooper and never complains. In fact he's the one who usually initiates play with Rusty which tells me that at least he thinks of himself as still young.

However, and with increasing frequency, Cappy gets easily winded. I only let him have two short retrieves on the lawn each morning and then he's content to sit and watch the other two dawgs do their morning routines. If he doesn't get at least a couple in first, he'll still sit and watch but whine non-stop.

Last fall Cappy began a very hoarse sounding heavy panting following a duck retrieve. Frankly, I was concerned about using him on long water retrieves in case he got into trouble so I limited the majority of his work to water retrieves that he could run or trot out and back through. The hoarse sound persisted so I took him in for X-rays around Thanksgiving. They were perfectly clear. By the end of season in late January it was even more pronounced so we had another set taken, fearing something might have been missed the first time. They included the upper resp. system as well and those too were clear.

When he had his cancer surgery in early March, the hoarse panting hadn't gotten any better and I was so adamant about something being wrong that the Vet took yet another another set (N/C that time). Barely visible were some very tiny "circles" that possibly indicated a very mild bronchial infection. He was put on an antibiotic for a month to see if it would clear up.

Six months later what has become almost non-stop "panting" drives me nuts. Sometimes I suspect he's doing that purposely because if I "HUSH" him he'll stop for a few minutes and then start up again. The last thing I want to do is be scolding my best friend all the time but I honestly have a hard time tolerating the sound. He does not pant while sleeping of course, but while awake the appearance of food or any other visual or scent stimulus and it starts all over again. I just recently took him to another vet and explained the whole story fearing the regular vet had to be missing something. They took yet another set, and a throat culture, and both came back absolutely clear.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
    Last edited by Cappy_TX; 09-08-2010 at 11:14 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

I know what you mean by annoying sounds !

I get the OCD licking of privates ( no not mine ) at night which has to stop !

While out walking I can always tell that it is Jasper behind me because of the panting and he's not yet eight but it doesn't concern me !

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

The thing that 'sprang to my mind' from your discription is the possibility of laryngeal paralysis - has that been ruled out by a veterinarian???
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Can't say ruled out, but both vets did check and said that his appeared open and normal. The symptoms are pretty similar except that with a paralyzed or grossly constricted larnyx the panting and hoarseness doesn't stop while at rest.

justine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy_TX View Post
    Can't say ruled out, but both vets did check and said that his appeared open and normal. The symptoms are pretty similar except that with a paralyzed or grossly constricted larnyx the panting and hoarseness doesn't stop while at rest.
    Hmm.. it is possible that it can be "partially" constricted, I believe.. And after exercise or things of that sort it can become more apparent. I have no personal experience with it, just going off of what I've heard/seen. I hope you figure it out!

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

I know my 12 year old, SEVERELY arthritic chap will pant a lot on his "not so great" day; also his combination of tramadol and Rimadyl can make him "run hot". Usually at night or in my office, I aim his fan on him and he'll settle right now (yes even in the winter and I'm freezing my tushie off). This is just the way my ole fart is....maybe Cappy is just runnin a lil warmer?

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by talleyJudy View Post
    The thing that 'sprang to my mind' from your discription is the possibility of laryngeal paralysis - has that been ruled out by a veterinarian???
    That was my first thought, too. It really sounds like what we went through with Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    Hmm.. it is possible that it can be "partially" constricted, I believe.. And after exercise or things of that sort it can become more apparent. I have no personal experience with it, just going off of what I've heard/seen. I hope you figure it out!
    I was thinking the same thing, Justine.

labby is offline Senior Member

Panting can also be a sign of discomfort Jim.

Laura

sunshyne is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. My mom's 10 year old lab has partial laryngeal paralysis. It's only really noticeable when she's barking or more active than she usually is. At rest, you can't tell, all she does is snore, and she's done that since we got her.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

My guess is comfort, pain or stress. Is he on pain relief for arthritis or general soreness?