new and seeking advice for breeder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new and seeking advice for breeder

moondoggie is offline Junior Member

Defaultnew and seeking advice for breeder

I am new to the lab world and am trying to find a good english style breeder in the pa/va/md or de area. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

i wish it were that simple. it seems virtually impossible to find a good breeder with future pups. all these people own labradors but no one knows a breeder?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Um....the link that Labby gave you is to one of the MOST respected Labrador clubs in the country. The breeders that belong to that club are pretty respectable. Jump on that site, go through the membership directory, look at their websites and do some homework. Then, contact a few of them. Don't be in a rush, contact everyone or buy a dog from the news paper. If you are new to Labs, then you need to spend a LOT of time researching the breed and what exactly it is you are looking for in a dog.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

MacieTX is offline Member

It's easy to pick a lab, they are all so great & so beautiful. But when you do hook up with a breeder, let the lab pick you. The one that wants you as their human will be out there. Take your time and he/she will love you like nothing you could imagine.

i have been researching for 6 months. this is not a rush decision and if i wasn't concerned i would buy a dog from a newspaper. i have contacted ALOT of breeders, some respond some don't even return calls. it's hard to find the availability. and yes, i want a male yellow or chocolate so it makes it even harder.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Labby gave you a great place to start...The Potomac is the most respected Labrador club in the country. Under the "puppies" category it looked like a pretty big listing. Call, call again if you get no response, but be patient....a good healthy lab is worth waiting for...even if that means being placed on a waiting list. Even though there are never any guarantees with any lab your purchase, it helps to go with reputable breeders.

Also go in with an open mind about what you are looking for in a puppy....you might find yourself in love with a pup you never thought you would take home Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by moondoggie View Post
    i wish it were that simple. it seems virtually impossible to find a good breeder with future pups. all these people own labradors but no one knows a breeder?
    It can't get simpler. Contact the breeders on that website. I'm sure with all the names on there someone has what you are looking for. If nobody is responding to your emails, then look at what you have written. Is the first sentence asking about the price? Those usually get dumped immediately. Do you tell the breeder something about yourself and what you are looking for? Do you ask questions that are explained in full on their websites? Again, those emails usually get dumped. If you can't read what the breeder is offering or telling you, then they don't figure you will follow instructions for the puppy and therefore you aren't worth the time and effort to respond. My own website is full of information on my puppies and my breeding program, but it would stun you how many times people don't bother to read it and ask me the same darned thing I have on my website.

Laura

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

OMg Laura, I have spent the last 1/2 hour looking at the older labs for adoption. All I can say is, it is probably a good thing I am married or I would have TO many labs. There are some wonderful dogs to be had from that site. I bookmarked it

Yep the Potomac has a great rescue effort too.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast