Question about spaying
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about spaying

Cheley is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about spaying

Willow will be 5 months old on the 10th. I definitely plan to have her spayed, but not sure what is the ideal time to do so.

Any recommendations as to what age to spay? I've heard anytime after 6 months, I've heard 9 months, I've heard after 1st birthday.....

I can't remember how old Kendall and Sophie were.... I'm sure I could look it up, but just wondering what all of you think. Breeders? What do you recommend?

I'm going to have to look through Willow's papers from the breeder to see if she had a recommendation.... I remember talking with her about spaying, but can't remember if we discussed a time frame.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Spaying before the first heat significantly reduces the risk of mammary neoplasia. The risk in dogs who go through 2 or more heats is greater than 1 in 5. Unless you have a medical reason for spaying later (puppy vaginitis, poor vulvar conformation, recurrent UTIs, etc.) I would spay between 6 and 12 months.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

georgie is offline Senior Member

Molly was 6 1/2 months & Kate was 8 1/2 months when they were spayed. No problems. Abby had a inverted vulva and had UTI. Our vet felt it would be better to let her have a heat cycle to help correct the vulva. We waited 4 months after her first heat, she was about 14 months old, ahd had her spayed. She has not had another UTI. I would discuss it with your vet and see what the pros & cons are on the time frame.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

See if you can find Labby's site information on spaying. It seems to be popular to spay before first heat with the vets around here. Many others feel it is best for the dog to let them go through there first heat. Often the example of performing a hystorectomy on a preteen human is given as a counter to early spaying. Some cancer risks are reduced with eayly spaying, mammary cancer being one that is almost eliminated, but many other cancer risks are reduced if the spaying occurs after the first heat. There are some that have concerns about proper development of bone structure and other traits if spayed too early.

I do not believe there is one right answer. There are many factors to consider and weigh.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Canine Sports Productions: Early Spay-Neuter Considerations for the Canine Athlete
    http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longt...uterindogs.pdf
    GPMCF: Healthier Respect for Ovaries

I ask my pup owners to wait until at least 12 mos before spaying, and preferably 14-16 mos before neutering based on the above newer info. Most vets are in a hurry to get pups neutered, sadly for the wrong reasons. My girls rarely come into season prior to 12 mos. Anne

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I think it is up to you. Each of us have different reasons. As Ed says there are many factors to consider.
    Kassa started coming into heat and being a real pain humping everything in sight so it was 8 months.
    Ernie was 12 weeks.His previous owners.

Personally with my next pup I will wait until a year old. Some studies say it is better to wait until a year as there is a higher risk of bone and joint issues. Erns has serious joint issues, but we will never know if it was his previous owners, breeding, or early neuter. For me if there is any doubt I will be more cautious, because I have had a dog with cancer and joint issues.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

My vet recommended Aila to be spayed before she goes into her first heat -- she was spayed at exactly 5 months.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I believe that waiting for a dog to be full grown before neutering is worth it. When you spay/neuter a puppy their growth plates stay open longer. You will usually have a lankier, taller adult dog when they are spayed before they are full grown. You also can wind up with a dog with a narrower skull than what would have happened if he/she were allowed to develop fully before de-sexing. There is also a greater risk of joint issues (according to what I have read).

Hormones play a role in physical development. I'll never spay a dog at 6 months old again.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I believe that waiting for a dog to be full grown before neutering is worth it. When you spay/neuter a puppy their growth plates stay open longer. You will usually have a lankier, taller adult dog when they are spayed before they are full grown. You also can wind up with a dog with a narrower skull than what would have happened if he/she were allowed to develop fully before de-sexing. There is also a greater risk of joint issues (according to what I have read).

Hormones play a role in physical development. I'll never spay a dog at 6 months old again.
    I totally agree with above post.

Early spaying is recommended only to prevent unwanted pregnancies, not for other reason. Early spaying reduces chances of tumors but greatly enhances chances of bone development problems (hip dysplasia is more recurrent in early neutered dogs than in dogs that were allowed to fully grow).

Full dogs are not humpers, sexual crazy, aggressive animals. A correctly socialized and educated dog will be a good dog no matter if he´s neutered or not.

My recommendation is to do a thorough research before making your own decision. You won´t find a definitive answer to this. Look at literature from various countries.

I favor responsible ownership, and that means making the best decision for your dog.

Black Lab is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much for such great information.

When to spay and neuter has just been so automatic over the years that I hadn't thought much about the medical risks and benefits and their potential effect on timeing. Instead, I tend to be focused on the population control reasons.

In windy's post above there are some interesting resources with lots of references to veterinary literature. Are there current evidence-based guidelines out there to guide vets and their owners based on current research?

Again, thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast