Kate had a reaction to her vaccine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kate had a reaction to her vaccine.

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultKate had a reaction to her vaccine.

DH just called me at work and said Kate had a reaction to her DHLPP shot she got this morning. Her face swelled. He took her back to the vet and she got a shot of dexamethasone & bendaryl. This was the first time she had the lepto. But because of training & running hunt tests & all the water they go in....the vet recommends she have it. She said next year she will pre-treat her when she gets the lepto. Poor Kate, it always seems to be her that these things happen to. We have never had a dog who reacted to their shots. I guess we have been lucky. I just called DH & he said Kate is fine, her swelling has gone down some. Now I will be at work until 6:00 so I can't see her till later.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Bless her heart. Hope she is back to normal real soon.

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

Aww, poor girl. I am sure that by the time you get home, she will be feeling much better.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Boy she sure is a sensitive little sweetie, hope Kate is feeling better real soon!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh my goodness!! So glad she's OK. This does not make me feel optimistic about the Lepto vaccine (which I just asked about today!)

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Please ask your vet to separate out the lepto component in the future. It was likely just a vaccine overload. Teh only time I had reactions was if 1) there was an underlying issue going on (ie, a UTI was brewing), or 2) if they gave a combo and rabies all together. That was before we even did Lepto.

I've not had ANY problems w/ Lepto vaccine (L-4) when given separately from combos, at least 3-4 wks apart. I don't understand why so many vets continue to give 5+ things all together when they should know it is hard on the dogs' immune system.

Anne, I agree with you. We never give rabies with any other vaccine. I wonder if it was because they also had the bortadella spray today. Thanks for letting me know about the separate lepto. Because, like you, we run hunt tests, out vet advises we give the lepto. I really do not like the combo vaccines. Thanks so much for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by georgie View Post
    Anne, I agree with you. We never give rabies with any other vaccine. I wonder if it was because they also had the bortadella spray today. Thanks for letting me know about the separate lepto. Because, like you, we run hunt tests, out vet advises we give the lepto. I really do not like the combo vaccines. Thanks so much for your input.
    Bordetella was also on the high reactivity list when I checked, but it was the injectable kind that was more troublesome if I remember right. But.. I think it's the bacterial vaccines that are the worst overall anyhow, so I just keep my combos simple (use the Progard 5-- no corono, no lepto) and do the rest as individuals spaced apart. There was a Breeder's Symposium through AKC and Purina (at U Penn) not too many years ago that had a great speaker on vaccine protocols and the why's of all of this. I've not had immune issues here, and just don't want them either, so am willing to go to the inconvenience, but I could tell some real stories about what some vets give all in one visit, despite my spelling it all out.... One pup had 9-10 vaccines given in one day, and then when she reacted, was told by FD that "this puppy can't have any more vaccines". Well now, wasn't that just sweet of them and the vet that was married into their vaccine products (which is why I choose the Vangard L-4 product line over FD's, though I think they are merged w/ another company now).

Anne, our vet knows how we feel about not giving things on the same day. But she uses the Fort Dodge vaccines alot & those are the combo. I don't give mine the bortadella shot, just the nasal spray. Now I am sorry I just didn't do the bortadella spray & wait a month before giving them the DHLPP. My frined uses a vey who only gives separate vaccines. I may look into that. I also heard the antibodies/ titres on lepto do not last real long, so they may have to get it every year. I am reading up on that. Having them pick up some nasty bacteria in the water they have to swim in scares me too. It is nice to know I am not the only one who worries about these things.

And btw, if your vet didn't file a formal report w/ their vaccine manufacturer, you should call them. I did w/ the one pup who was given the combo plus additional L-4 vaccine (and got diarrhea badddd) and they were very professional and accomodating w/ me. I really felt like they wanted to know.
    But, that was Vangard and Intervet.

When the one pup of mine reacted years ago after being given a combo (w/ lepto & corona) plus rabies plus injectable bordetella plus dewormer and god knows what (the 9-10 things).... I found out later that the company (FD) had an issue w/ their rabies vax. I still worry about that pup but I think they were friends w/ the vet and I had some not so nice things to say about that vet pumping so many things into my 3 mo old puppy that I apparently burned some bridges that day. Oh, and same vet insisted puppy was to be spayed at 16 wks and won. Acckkkkkkk!!!
    Last edited by windycanyon; 09-07-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast