Simon's going to the vet (annual and feet)

Thread: Simon's going to the vet (annual and feet)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultSimon's going to the vet (annual and feet)

Well, we're off to the vet this morning. I'm off work today so I decided to take Simon in for his annual. He's not due till next month, but I'm off, and his feet have gotten worse enough that I think it's time to see someone.

I thought about going to the derm vet, but the feet are really not too bad yet...it's certainly not seeming as bad as last year. I thought maybe we'd just try the vet first, and get his annual at the same time. I think the first thing I'd like to try is just something to help relieve the itching. Cortisone shot was suggested here, and I like that idea very much, so I'm going to ask about it. And my vet can do that...no need to involve the derm vet yet - I think.

They also have a spray they gave him once called "Derma-Cool" that I'm thinking may help. Mine is from '08, so I might need a new bottle.

And maybe we can up his Benadryl.

Last year we did nothing to relieve symptoms, because we didn't want to affect test results. Now that I know their feet aren't going to fall off from this, and it's likely an allergy to flea bites (or possibly grass, but I'm leaning towards fleas), I'm all about just trying to relieve the itching.

Angus' feet still look OK. It looked like his were starting up too, but I dosed them both with Advantix and that seemed to stop it in its tracks for Angus. Let's hope it stays that way.

In other news, I had a really terrible dream last night about Angus and me. I dreamed that I didn't have anywhere to live because my family and I had disowned each other, and I was carrying Angus around in a plastic baggie. He was tiny, the size of a frog, and I had to remember to open the baggie once in a while so he could breathe. He would sometimes turn into a frog when I would open the baggie. I was determined that no one was going to tell me what to do. As the dream went on I had to become a prostitute to make ends meet. Why do I have these awful dreams?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts for Simon - please keep us updated.

Wow weird dream - did you eat anything strange before bed ?

justine is offline Senior Member

Ouchies poor feetsies! What did the vet say about them?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Hope they can help with his feet. PLease let us know.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Any update Connie? I feel bad that the boys are still getting this. It must be so frustrating. I know for a couple years Guthrie was getting hair loss on the top of his feet that would start in October and grow back by December. It had me baffled.....and mad because I could not figure out what caused it. Thankfully it has not been back for over a year(fingers crossed!)

Dreams are SOOO weird!!!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh, I never did update about this, did I? Sorry!

I took him to the vet on Tuesday, and he did get a cortisone shot. I can't tell that it's helped any yet. I think I heard him licking his feet this morning as I was waking up. But, the hope is that it will do something to relieve the itching on the first, so it doesn't get as bad as last time. It's nowhere close to what it was last year. It did start right around the same time, within a couple of weeks...which definitely points to something in the environment, either grass or other allergy, or fleas.

Angus still seems fine. If Simon gets worse I'll take him back to the derm vet.

I doubt we'll ever figure out exactly what it is either...

dweck is offline Senior Member

Good luck w/the feeties.

Dream: Angus is telling you to stop feeding him frog legs.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)