In the Decoys

Thread: In the Decoys

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultIn the Decoys

With hunting season starting next Saturday for early Teal, today was the day for Rusty to learn to make retrieves of shot flyers in the water around decoys, his first exposure to them. We had him explore a little before the serious action started.

(click on image)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I know all the time, care, diligence, and consistency you've put into Rusty's training but it seems like he took to all of this SO quickly! Do you remember if Cappy and Remi were this quick to "get it"?

Nice pics, of course.

Seamus and Flynn

Samson is offline Senior Member

ONe thing that Rusty isn't is rusty !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

WTG Rusty

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom View Post
    I know all the time, care, diligence, and consistency you've put into Rusty's training but it seems like he took to all of this SO quickly! Do you remember if Cappy and Remi were this quick to "get it"?

Nice pics, of course.
    Actually, Cappy and Remi were well ahead of Rusty at the same age. Part of that is because I've intentionally taken it very slowly in Rusty's development as a "gun dawg".

As I've mentioned here before, Rusty is a very "soft" dawg and discipline must be used sparingly when enforcing known but disregarded commands. Perhaps because my expectations of him was low (although hopes were high), it didn't bother me that he seemed to lack a typical well bred field Lab's insatiable prey drive and balls-to-the-walls speed on every retrieve. He lacks the speed and big water entries that Cappy and Remi had instinctively. He was actually intimidated by the wing flapping of a live tethered bird whereas it incited my other two to a feverish pitch. But Rusty has one thing very much in common with Cap and Remi ... He LOVES his daddy and wants to please me, so he never gives up and is always willing to try again.

We now face the dilema of which dawg(s) stay behind when we hunt each day this season. Sometimes I almost didn't go last year when Carol didn't want to join me because seeeing the pathetic let-down face and frantic whimpers of the dawg staying home was almost too much. What the heck am I going to do this year???