To all you Dog AND Cat owners out there...

Thread: To all you Dog AND Cat owners out there...

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

DefaultTo all you Dog AND Cat owners out there...

Alright, so i need advice. I have a 3 month old Lab puppy and 2 cats. Emerald is 3 and Lilo is 2. I know a lot of people who just let it work them out themselves but i've been trying the slow introduction process. They are seperated by a baby gate when I'm home and when i let Aspen out to roam the house for awhile I shut the door to whatever room the cats are in. They seem to do okay. They sniff each other through the gate but the only thing is Emerald is forever jumping the gate and getting up on the table or whatever is out of Aspens reach. If Emerald gets down on the floor Aspen chases her and Emerald jumps over the gate. Now a part of me thinks Emerald does this on purpose because if Aspen doesn't see her she meows (which isn't like her) until Aspen sees her. I've tried to teach Aspen not to chase but it's not working. So yesterday thinking that the older she gets the harder this is going to be, I would take her on a leash to where the cats were and let them work it out. Aspen doesn't really bother Lilo. She tries to sniff her and Lilo growls and Aspen moves on. But Emerald will not stop running from her. When Aspen chases Emerald she opens her mouth and tries to catch her or even try and pounce on her but she doesn't really seem she is trying to hurt her. So last night i made it so Emerald had to confront her and hopefully learn that if she doesn't run there won't be problems. If Aspen got close to Emerald without chasing she would just try to sniff her. Finally Em got cornered and Asp kept going for her and FINALLY Em smacked her without her claws I think cause I didn't see any scratches on Aspen. Aspen put her head down and whinned for a second and then moved on as if she didn't care if Em was there or not. I don't want any to get hurt and i'm overprotective. Then she went and smelled Lilo who just gave her this evil look and then she didn't seem to care about either. Of course than Emerald runs and there goes Aspen trying to chase her. She doesn't bother my friends cats she just sniffs them. How should i proceed? I don't think Aspen wants to hurt either but she's twice there size. Em is fast...Lilo not so much, but Lilo is more likely to stand her ground. Does Em want her to chase her? I'm so confused, if they aren't running she is really good with them... but when they are running I don't know for sure what will happen!!!! Please help me out with this.

Amanda

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I just let the dogs and cat sort it out. In the beginning I kept a very close eye and intervened when Helo was getting too rambunctious, puppies after all dont really know when to stop. I kept that up until I witnessed my cat do the same as yours - she taunts the puppy to no end. So now, I've told her she's on her own - if the puppy gets her head in his mouth, it's her problem (though obviously that behaviour I'd stop) but seriously!! but I refuse to intervene now when she's (the cat) is the obvious antagonist and instigator. She deserves every inch of puppy saliva soaking she gets!!!

But in all honesty, while all this is going on, I keep an eye and an ear out - my cat makes a very definitive sound when she is pissed off to no end - when that sound comes out of her, I'm more afraid for the pup then for her,and I'll step in. If she's making squawking noises because the puppy has pancaked her to the floor with his full body weight, I step in too, otherwise, I just let the little bastards have at it - they seem to play to an extent and when the cat has had enough, she gets out of dodge.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

So you think i'm safe to just let them be and watch and listen? She wants to play, not being aggressive, right?

Amanda

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

I let mine work it out. I have three cats. I taught the dogs that they're not allowed to chase the cats, but if a cat runs, and the dog has a high prey drive they will chase it. Willy is the one I have to yell at. he will start to chase and when I yell he stops. But also, the cats have learned that if they stop running and just sit there, the dog looses interest and walks away. So the cats learn too. I think what's happenning at your house is normal and you should let them work it out, but watch them.

Samson is offline Senior Member

What ^^^^^^^ they say

I have had dogs and cats past and present and alway left them to their own devices.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Some dogs never learn... year ago when I lived in a rented small cabin I adopted the cat (abandoned by previous renter). My neighbor had an Irish Setter that kept chasing the cat. The cat would get angry and attack. YOWL! there goes the dog running and whinning... 10 after, there he was again pestering the cat.

When I moved out I took the cat with me, then I got Misha. Misha was always good with him, only once the cat scratched her, but he would rub against Misha and she loved to lick his head. Then when I got Homer, the cat just hated him, I don´t know why because he pretty much ignored him. He would hiss at him and try to scratch him.

The thing that always worried me was a cat scratch in their eyes... I really was never comfortable leaving all three together without supervision. I knew both labs would never hurt the cat, but the cat was very capable of doing damage to the pups.

Thanks guys for the info. I guess i'm just nervous. Oh well it will be fine i'm sure.

Amanda

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I like to live in peace and harmony, so I introduce mine different than my friends. I don't let them work it out. My cats know that I will protect them, and my dogs know the same. So I sit with them. Cat on the right and dog on the left. And let them sniff. Cat can't run. Dog can't chase.

After about 10-15 minutes of sitting in silence, and letting them sniff. I let go of the dog first. And usually, he/she just gets up and walks away, wondering why they were confined for so long for no big deal.

Then, if the cat goes to move, the dog barely notices, and the cat's no big deal right? Because they just sat together for 15 minutes and nothing fun happened.

I've done this through countless dogs who come to visit my house. I have pretty good cats, and friend's who say their dogs aren't good with cats are amazed to see their dogs snuggling my cats.

I'm not a fan of letting them work it out. I'm a fan of being in charge and them knowing I won't let anything bad happen.

Puppy who just left was a known cat chaser. No trouble with my cats at all.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Cheley is offline Senior Member

Sounds pretty much like my house right now. I have 5 cats, who are all pretty okay with the dogs since Kendall and Sophie have been here for 8 years and they don't bother the cats at all. One of the cats, Lily, likes to cuddle with the dogs and I often find her sleeping curled up between them.

Then I brought Willow (choc puppy) home. She is 4 1/2 months and pretty good with the cats, although if they run she will chase. But my 1 yr old cat, Oliver, LOVES her. From day one, he sat on top of her crate and was not one bit afraid of her. But now he likes to tease her. When she is in her crate, he will walk by and rub against it - knowing that she can't get out. When she is not in her crate I also have a baby gate to keep her in my sights, but he jumps the gate and taunts her, then she chases. He doesn't seem too determined to get away, because she catches him 9 times out of 10. She has never hurt him, and I only saw him hiss at her once. Willow is never out of my sight when she is out of her crate, so I can intervene if necessary, but for the most part they seem to just want to play. My only concern is that Willow is approaching 40 lb (if she's not already there) and Oliver weighs in at 10 lb, so she could inadvertantly hurt him.

Like I said, I supervise, but for the most part I just let them be. The other cats couldn't care less about the new puppy.

I tried again last night. I tried the sitting them on each side of me, but i had too much trouble keeping them under control. I tried just letting them go and it involved a chase around and around, lamps getting knocked over, me being a nervous wreck. She went towards Lilo and got smacked about 10 times in a row, without claws i'm guessing cause not one mark was on Aspen. Emerald just won't stand up to her and instead runs. I don't know if she wants her to chase her or not. Aspen grabbed Em's foot and Em meowed but i didn't see any marks. Lilo was standing at the baby gate later that evening and Aspen started to run over until she saw it was Lilo and then she turned around and walked away so i don't think i have to worry too much about Lilo. I don't know, I just want peace but I guess i'm gonna have to be patient.

Amanda