Cane Corso?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cane Corso?

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultCane Corso?

Today during our morning walk we met a neighbor who got a 3 month old Cane Corso. I had never seen one before. I know they are somewhat related to Neapolitan Mastiffs (very popular breed in my country), are they as aggressive as Neapolitans?

I let Homer socialize with the pup (the owners told me he was the first dog, out of his litter he had met), I though he was quite excited and actually jumped on Homerīs back, which I though was a bit rough for a 3 month old pup, especially when it was an adult male approaching. Hope he wonīt become aggressive as he grows out.

Homer was good with him, sniffed a bit and then left him alone. Canīt say the same about Misha, she began posturing (you know from my previous post, Iīm having trouble with her on the leash). I didnīt let her sniff the pup, but will certainly let them become friends once she gets more used to the pup (the neighbors walk at the same time we do).

Iīd rather have them become friends now that itīs a pup and avoid future problems whe he grows up

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackandyellow View Post
    Iīd rather have them become friends now that itīs a pup and avoid future problems whe he grows up
    This is a good idea.

Bella

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

If you can access the AKC Gazette magazine, the cover story in either June or July 2010 was about the Cane Corso. Maybe it will help tell you something about the breed.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

There was a Cane Corso in Jeb's puppy class. I don't know much about the breed but she was VERY timid initially. Would not play with any of the dogs-sat right with owner. She blossomed as the class went on into a nice sociable pup. Owner was wise to take puppy class.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Much about how that puppy turns out depends on the owner. They are sadly used as macho displays by a lot of the folks that buy them. If that is a novice dog owner, I would give that animal a very wide berth when he grows up.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

what i read states that they are not known to be aggressive dogs. However they are more comfortable around people than other dogs so I'm guessing introducing them while he's young will have a great benefit.

Amanda

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Thanks, I did a little google search on them and found some info, unfortunately not too good. The American Club of Cane Corso cites them as guard dogs, that donīt like strangers and donīt like other dogs. An "international" site mentions the opposite, that they are very social with all animals. I looked at pictures of adults and they look mean. Since these dogs were used for hunting boar and even fighting bears, I bet thereīs still some aggression in them...

I hope the owners are responsible. They actually asked me if I could let my dogs socialize with him, so they seem to know that the dogs definitely needs extensive socialization. Iīll probably keep on letting my kids become friends with him, just need to find a space where I can let Misha meet him off leash. Homer was a model citizen when meeting the pup earlier this morning, very gentle and not intense at all. He came back to me immediately when I called him.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Like I said - it's all about the owners.

If you google Cane Corso + San Francisco you'll see a gruesome story about a husband and wife (lawyer pair) who had 2 who killed their neighbor. In that case the aggression was encouraged, the owners were clueless and unable to handle the dogs and the neighbor was the unfortunate victim. The wife wound up in jail.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Like I said - it's all about the owners.

If you google Cane Corso + San Francisco you'll see a gruesome story about a husband and wife (lawyer pair) who had 2 who killed their neighbor. In that case the aggression was encouraged, the owners were clueless and unable to handle the dogs and the neighbor was the unfortunate victim. The wife wound up in jail.
    I believe the dog in the SF case was a Presa Canario. Are they the same dog??? I thought they were different breeds.

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

Awww. i don't think they look mean. Okay so some of those pictures they did but not all of them. Everything I read said they have even temperaments and if socialized young can be really great dogs. Of course i feel thats the case with any breed.

We have a bullmastiff in puppy class (which is a little different) but she is the sweetest little puppy. If another puppy approaches her she just rolls on her back. Some of the other puppies jump on her back.

Amanda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast