AKC Canine Partners

Thread: AKC Canine Partners

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultAKC Canine Partners

Surprised, but I guess I shouldn't be. Probably means more money for AKC.

Mixed Breeds Welcome!
    AKC's new program for mixed-breed dogs, AKC Canine Partners, is now open for business. If you have a mixed-breed dog you'd like to enroll in this program—giving him the chance to compete in stand-alone obedience, rally, and agility events—go to akccaninepartners.org! In addition to event eligibility, owners enrolling in AKC Canine Partners will receive lifetime enrollment in the AKC CAR Lost and Found recovery service, a one-year subscription to AKC FAMILY DOG, an AKC Canine Partners decal and a frameable certificate of recognition! Go to akccaninepartners.org to sign up today!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I'm glad that they are now allowing dogs, like my Abbey, in for their events and all of that, but I'm also afraid that so many more "designer" dogs will start popping up..

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

Your "designer breeds" can be registered, but like with the ILP/PAL program, they must have proof of spay/neuter. Also they will be classified as a Mixed breed, not what a doodle or w/e.

For Abbey, you can likely do PAL for her which would make her eligible to compete as a labrador.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I did not post this to be critical. Excluding conformation, I think all dogs should be allowed to compete. In my mind, conformation is breed unique, and special, but everything else is behavior based, more or less. So why would you eliminate the world most obedient dog from obedience trials because it is not a purebred dog.

My surprise is that the AKC in my mind was a little elitist in their positions, and this is a turn. Of course, this post may expose how little I know about the AKC.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I am thrilled about it, as I've always been a fan of mixed breeds. I have gotten into competing with the boys and find it a lot of fun, and I like the idea that I could now walk into any shelter and get whatever dog tickles my fancy, without regard for whether I could get an ILP on that dog.

However, I think it will still be a while before we see shows with mixed breed classes. It's up to the individual club putting on the show whether to include this class, and if our club is any indication, it's not something that's going to be accepted by everyone with open arms.

Dexter Dogg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post
    I like the idea that I could now walk into any shelter and get whatever dog tickles my fancy, without regard for whether I could get an ILP on that dog.
    I agree. I think this is a great thing.

- Dave

kaytris is offline Senior Member

The one thing that irritates me is the "stand alone" provision. Heaven forbid that the purebred dogs have to compete BESIDE the lowly mutts, in the same CLASS!!!

(Never mind that agility organisations like AAC, USDAA, and NADAC and the obedience club NAMBR have been doing it for years without any purebreds getting cooties...

Seriously, as far as I know, there hasn't been intentional mixed breeding by participants in any of those groups - the only mixed breeding I've heard of for a dogsport is for flyball - the border-jacks and so on - for speedy height dogs.
    Last edited by kaytris; 10-15-2009 at 09:54 AM.

labby is offline Senior Member

UKC has been allowing mixes in performance for years.

Laura

labby is offline Senior Member

AKC need money, Ed.

Laura

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

You just answered my question from the CKC thread. I didn´t know you couldn´t participate in performance competitions with mutts in AKC... here in Mexico you can participate with any dog in any FCM event except for comformation of course.