Karma!

Thread: Karma!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

CoolKarma!

For anyone that saw this thread I started... https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...cializing.html & had an issue with me "dropping the leash"... well, today you can have a good chuckle at my expense!

I cannot emphasize enough this was done more so out of habit than not heeding your advice! I "dropped the leash" at the DP when a VERY friendly off-leash Lab came up to say hello. As anticipated, this was an extremely positive social visit for my Diesel... I love Lab-to-Lab socializing!!

What I did not expect was for the other Lab to pick up Diesel's leash, tugging him along for a little trot, gaining momentum. Before I had time to react, both of them suddenly & unexpectedly chose to go around me... one on the right, one on the left which left me smack in the middle!

Yup, you guessed it... they took me down & hard! Lesson most definitely learned & despite a bruise the size of a baseball on my ass, I am glad it was me they took down & not someone else as I would have felt horrible.

The "habit" has been broken as I won't soon forget this incident!

BTW, update on Diesel's socializing...
    In addition to no more "dropping the leash"... he just stays on the leash now until we get him better socialized...

*I went online & started up a Lab playdate group for our area.. really strange that there are no Lab-only groups in my city... crazy how many there are in the States!

*We just hired a personal trainer (as opposed to group setting puppy school) to focus on his weak points & pro advice/demonstrations for how to get him better socialized

*We are starting Doggy Daycare at a place that was recommended by our Vet, they screen all dogs to ensure no aggressive dogs get in, it is fully supervised, I met with the owner & he is anxious to get Diesel in there now while he is still young. They daycare a 6mth old Chesapeake (now 8mos) that had the same issues Diesel is having now. He says he learned quickly from the strong pack of well behaved, supervised dogs how to act & is doing excellent.

Thanks again for everyone's input!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Labs are great at teaching us lessons every day -- for example, the other day I learned that I should always put my shoes in the closet before I go to work and that I should put all kleenex boxes on high counters, not short coffee tables.

Good luck with daycare - my Aila goes for her daycare interview this afternoon. I hope she gets in - being 10 months old, she definately needs the outlet for all of her energy!

justine is offline Senior Member

Ouch, sorry they wiped you out, but I guess you learned the lesson hard! From experience I can tell you that having 2 dogs off leash versus one on leash and the other off makes a huuuge difference.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Glad it went well for Diesel at the DP.
    Sorry you got taken out, but it does sound like it was an amusing sight (although I'm sure you didn't think so at the time).

Bella

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

Sort of reminds me of when Dinozzo and his 'little friend' Tikka fight over a branch...Tikka's a Staffie and they don't let go...so there they are the two of them hanging onto their own end of the branch, running round the park and...look out!!!. Had both Carolyn and myself over...more than once. We just aren't quick enough.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Sorry you got wiped out. I learned that lesson when I tried to walk my two on leashes before their obedience was finished. Not good when they wrap the leashes around your legs. I am glad you had a good experience at the dog park.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Lesson #5, Don't wear rubber rain boots out in the snow and ice to walk your dog. Got pulled 5 feet while sliding, trying to hold my balance...before I fell flat on my ass.

montoya's is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkeizer View Post
    Labs are great at teaching us lessons every day -- for example, the other day I learned that I should always put my shoes in the closet before I go to work and that I should put all kleenex boxes on high counters, not short coffee tables.
    AMEN to that! And toilet paper doesn't go on the holder anymore. And the dishes are either clean or in the sink!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I think many of us learn that and other lessons the hard way. Sorry reading it from someone else did make me smile. Hope your butt is better soon.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/