Question about Panting

Thread: Question about Panting

mommacomet is offline Senior Member

QuestionQuestion about Panting

Katie seems to pant a lot. She is loosing weight since when she got here she was at 95 lbs. She is down to 86. She has been to the vet for a full check up including blood work and is healthy. Now Katie had lived outside for months (6 at least) and is now a full time house puppy. She eats and drinks fine. Could it be a habit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Could be. I think sometimes dogs are mouth-breathers.

You may notice a change when she hits her target weight, and/or as we head into winter.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

panting CAN be a sign of stress or discomfort/pain.. does she look uncomfortable or worried? Does she pace, or settle down and relax? Is the panting irregular, or non-stop?

And is your central heating on?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I dog sit a dog who quite literally drives me crazy, every few months he comes here and pants for weeks on end. His owners say he does it at home, but not as bad. He was here once for 3 weeks and never let up with the panting and it wasn't warm out.

Out of curiosity, is she narrow chested? This particular sweet boy is, and I wonder if somehow its related, lungs don't have a lot of room is my thinking.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

mommacomet is offline Senior Member

She seems to be in no stress what so ever. Very happy, playful, settles down and although our house isn't cold it also isn't hot either. I know tonight she was laying head to the with me and I took my hands and was giving her a mini massage around her neck and check area and she was totally relaxed and wasn't panting. When she is running around with a toy in her mouth which she is doing more and more (she never had toys before coming here) she is totally fine and the same thing if I am working with her and she is concentrating on the food in my hand she knows she is going to get if she does what I ask. LOL