Snowflake...question???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowflake...question???

javasmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultSnowflake...question???

Why is your name Snowflake??? None of your dog's names are Snowflake.....I was just wondering. Please tell me if I'm being nosy!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

That's a good question!
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

joflake is offline Senior Member

I'm curious too. When I signed up here, I wanted to be Snowflake but it was already taken. BooHoo!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you asked. When I first came to this board, I had just recently (within a few weeks) lost my 11-month-old lab, Annie. She was a yellow lab, very light, almost white. That's her in my avatar. We called her Snowflake as a knickname.

At that time, we hadn't brought Sally home yet, and I was trying to find some information and educate myself better as to how to care for a lab puppy.

Now, on every other board my handle is ChocolateDawg. But here it just stayed Snowflake. I kept Snowflake as a tribute to my wonderful, loving dog.

If you'd like to see more of Annie, here's a link to her tribute video.

Annie's Tribute Video

I wondered about the pic in your avatar too...that's Annie!! Good to know...I have been wondering about the name and the pic for a while now.

May I ask, what happened to Annie??? She was only 11 months old????

She is beautiful Nancy. Her color is gorgeous...your little white angel!!

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

That is such a touching video -- brought tears to my eyes.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    I wondered about the pic in your avatar too...that's Annie!! Good to know...I have been wondering about the name and the pic for a while now.

May I ask, what happened to Annie??? She was only 11 months old????
    We got her from a BYB. We didn't know any better. As it turned out, she had severe...very severe hip dysplasia. The vet said he had never seen one this bad before.

When she was 10 months old, both the vet and the ortho surgeon said she would be a total cripple by the time she was 3 years old.

So we decided on surgery....both hips at the same time. It was a decision I will forever regret.

You see, not only did she have severe HD, she also had immune problems. and after the surgery infections set in.

For three weeks, she lay in intensive care continuing to get worse and worse. They tried everything to get her to make a come back, but she never even stood up again. She got sicker and sicker.

Every day...usually 3 or 4 times a day, I would go visit her. I would sit down on the floor beside her cage and try to get her to eat. I brought canned dog food, steak, chicken. I brought everything imaginable. She would only eat 2 or 3 bites.

She would just lay her head in my lap and whine.

Finally, one day while she had her head in my lap, she pulled herself closer to me and reached up and licked me on my cheek. Then she turned away and laid back down away from me.

I knew that was her way of telling me it was time. She couldn't take it any longer. So I let my 11-month-old baby go.

It was definitely in the top 5 most difficult things I've ever done in my life.

Annie was so full of life and energy. She would have been an awesome retriever, but she couldn't ever retrieve...couldn't run. She could swim, however, so we spent many, many hours at the lake with her. Those were her happiest moments.

There are two major regrets in my life: 1) not divorcing my 1st husband sooner, and 2) allowing Annie to have that surgery. The first hurt my children and the second killed my Annie.

And for those two decisions I will never *ever* forgive myself.

I'm sure that's more than you wanted to know about Annie. But I hope maybe someone reading this who might be contemplating getting a dog from a BYB will think twice about it. You have absolutely no idea what you are getting.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry. Don't beat yourself up you didn't know and now you do.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Now I feel bad that I boohoo'ed cause I couldn't have the name Snowflake. I'm so sorry. You deserve the name as a tribute to your baby girl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast