Abbey is afraid of dogs now.. :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abbey is afraid of dogs now.. :(

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultAbbey is afraid of dogs now.. :(

I am kind of worried... Abbey got attacked at the dog park a couple weeks ago and I got bit pretty bad trying to get the dogs off of her. Abbey wasn't hurt, luckily, since her extra skin around her neck took the brunt of the biting. She was pinned down to the ground, while one dog had a mouthful of her scruff and was thrashing its head around wildly. I don't really remember what the other dog had it's mouth on; it happened to fast.

Prior to this, on other trips to the dog park, Abbey has gotten roughed up by bigger dogs. I remember a couple incidents where she found a couple dogs to play chase with and they were playing pretty rough and then all of a sudden they had her pinned to the ground, jumping on her and making her cry.

Anyways, today we were just getting back from agility and Abbey went potty outside. My neighbor and her two puggles, who she has met before and was previously fine with, came walking towards the building. Immediately Abbey's hackles went up, all the way from her shoulder blades to the base of her tail and her tail went between her legs. The other dogs were wagging their tails in a friendly manner as they walked up and Abbey pretty much cowered. After a few minutes of walking around once the dogs went inside, she was less tense and back to normal.

Since the incident, I have been trying to set her up with dogs that I know are foolproof and won't cause any issues- my friend's chocolate Lab Toby, my friend's yellow Lab puppy, etc. So far, so good, although she was a LOT more cautious around them than normal.

I just don't know what I should do... I want to work with her to get past this, but I don't know how to "fix" this issue. I will definitely say that I will NOT be heading out to any dog park with her.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I don't have any answers, but it sounds like you are trying to do the right thing by sitting up social interactions with "safe dogs". I was worried about Sammi after she was bit, but so far so good. I'm sure many on here will have good suggestions for you Justine, I so hope Abbey gets over her fear, she is such a sweet girl!

MNLab is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about this and I think you're doing the best thing by letting her see dogs that will be kind to her! Just let her do it in her own time and don't force her (although I'm sure you know this).
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Felix is offline Senior Member

First thing first .. Did you report this attack on Abbey by the police or any other autority ? I should do that first

And i think that you have turned into the right way, to confront her with dogs you and she knews, i mean dogs that you sure about, that they wont attack or start a fight ..

They key issue is to bring back that she feels comfortable around dogs, and i guess that you just do the right job about bringing dogs in who are familiar

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Yep I was going to say the same as Dipete, set her up with friendly pals to get her confidence back, its an awful thing when they used to be so good, Alfie was the same after he got attacked xx

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

That happened to Eddie! Though he wasn't beaten up so as much. And I do the same thing.

He used to be the social butterfly now, he is very cautious around other dogs and very verbal.

I am lucky our bark park is very large - a 12 acre field with a 10 acre pond along one side - so there is plenty of space to take your dog if you don't want to be with the pack. I will stay with the people and dogs I know for a while so he has some interaction with other dogs and then we walk and walk and walk................... We probably walk about 2 miles everytime we go there. Now and again he finds a dog he likes and he plays but most of the time he stands behind me watching...............

Good luck, I hope she comes around soon..

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Aww, poor Abbey. It does sound like you are doing the right thing setting her up to meet with safe dogs.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Yeah - I only have safe dog play dates for this reason. She'll eventually be fine (or at least better) but I would avoid groups of strange dogs for some time. Agility is a great confidence builder and will help her get over this.

Good luck!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Awww poor Girlie.

I think you're certainly on the right track with the "safe" dogs for sure. One other thing I would do is get really happy and excited about her playing with these dogs, instead of adopting a worried mentality, because she will look to you now thats she's unsure of how best to approach the situation, and if you're worried that just reinforces to her that she should be worried too.

Peanut has issues with dogs approaching her, she gets very intimidated and before I knew better, I made it worse by getting nervous and just trying to restrain her even more. So what I started doing is having "safe" dogs approach us and getting down on her level and talking to her in my "play" voice, saying stuff like, "Peanut!! Who's that? Is it _____ ? You wanna go say hi??" and giving her all sorts of treats and praise for allowing a dog to approach her, eventually she learned that the appearance of other dogs meant good things for her and she wasn't nearly as afraid. Still has her moments, but it's a work in progress.

Are you still in agility class? How is she with the other dogs in class?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Jenica is offline Senior Member

Poor Abbey! I agree with everyone else, continue what you are doing, try to relax and hopefully over time the good experiences will outweigh the bad ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast