Not wanting to eat food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not wanting to eat food

tinymusic is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot wanting to eat food

Brenner has recently decided that he doesn't really like his food anymore.

Started probably about 2 weeks ago where he seemed uninterested in his food, would pick at it for an hour or more until it was gone. We attributed it to being at the end of the bag and maybe it was going stale?

So we bought him a new bag and it seemed to work for a day and now he's back to not really wanting to eat it. We even tried adding some water to maybe get him interested.
    He will eat all his treats just fine, so I don't think he's sick or anything is wrong.

Do they go through periods where they are just weird about their food?

He use to always chow down his food like there's no tomorrow, then we switched him from his puppy bowl to a big boy stainless steel one and he started to each much slower and chew each piece. And now in the last few weeks he takes a bite and runs to his bed or the spare bedroom and eats the mouth full. Then runs back for another bite and that continues the whole meal.

BTW he's about 15 months

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

My first thought is it's the bowl. Something about the SS might be spooking him- his tags hitting it, the reflection, noise, sliding while he's eating. I'd try feeding him out of something else to see if that helps.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

That is strange. Toby would never have that problem...he is an eating machine

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I tired that this morning as well, dumped his food into a plastic bowl and it helped for 2 bites that that was it.
    could be very well scared of the bowl, but he's had the stainless bowl for quite a while now. So I don't think it's all that.
    He's afraid of EVERYTHING!! Just found the other day - sucking the last bit out of a capri-sun juice pouch, the gurgleish sound scared him and he ran out of the room and peeked around the corner until it was safe.

He is also trained to do a trick (sit, lay down, speak, or paw) before his food and we tell him "Good boy! go ahead!" before he will eat. Also while he's eating you can tell him to "wait" and he will stop eating and wait for the go ahead.

He's so good with it, but almost too good. I think he's partially parnoid!!!

Some times (this was when we weren't having issues with him eating) he would take a few bites then stop and sit down and look at us waiting to tell him he could continue.
    We would tell him to "go ahead" and he would continue.
    Sometimes he will do that but won't respond to the "go adead" we would have to say the "good boy! go ahead!". Then it got to the point where you would have to make him do a trick first and say "good boy! go ahead!"

He will eat his food if you hand him each piece.

?????????? so confused with this dog!!

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

This may well set off a thread bomb but what food are you feeding? Have you tried a different food?
    It is rare that a healty Lab does not eat well, we usually see the opposite problem here, eating too much too fast.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

He's actually not a lab at all, well maybe part of him is... We use to have have a lab, Brody, but he passed. I have kind of just stuck around even tho we have a mutt.

Anyways! He was on Purina pro-plan puppy chicken & rice , we upped him to the regular Purina Pro-plan adult chicken & rice around his 1st birthday. He's never had an issue with the food until the last couple weeks.

He's a small 40lbs maybe a few less

We haven't tried a different food yet. We thought his pickyness was due to the food maybe being stale, it was the end of the bag. So we bought a new bag of the same food and he's still having the same reaction.
    Last edited by tinymusic; 08-13-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

He's never had an issue with the food until the last couple weeks.
    That would trigger a visit to the Vet for me. Any sudden change tlike that might indicate a medical problem.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

tismom is offline Senior Member

Our puppy, Moses, at 7 months stopped eating with as much gusto as he had before. Vet said he was fine. I suspect part of this was the weather--way too hot. A switch from his regular bowl to a plastic plate somehow made the difference. He's now eating everything he's given. I hope your dog is back to his old self soon.

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

He will eat treats just fine tho.

We actually put a bunch of milk bones and little treats in his stainless bowl for dinner for him one night and he chowed it down.

We had this problem last month. Moka started turning up his nose to his food. We were on the Pro Pan Large Breed puppy. Trip to the vet, changed bowls, new bag of food in case it was bad, new brand of Pro Plan - we tried the chicken and rice, etc. Nothing really helped until we switched away from Pro Plan completely. Moka is now on Acana Wild Prarie. It is grain free and he loves it. It was like night and day the first day we started to change the food. He was his usual self bolting over to his food spot and waiting patiently for us to bring it and and give him the go ahead. We also noticed since switching foods he has not been as gassy, that could either be the grain free or because of the switch from puppy to adult food.

Not saying this will cure your problems or you shouldn't go to the vet, but just letting you know that there is other cases of stuff like this. We noticed alot of these type of food issues with all dogs not just labs, when we were going through it and did some researching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast