Is this normal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal?

mandaz000 is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs this normal?

My 11wk puppy Aspen had to spend two nights with a girl I work with because i had a wedding i was in this weekend and had too much to do to give her proper attention. This lady loves dogs and has one of her own so i knew Aspen would be in good hands and would have fun.

I picked her up yesterday morning and they said she played all weekend. She seemed really tired most of the day. I took her for a short walk and when we got home she laid down. She ate and drank and seemed okay just tired. Is it possible to wear my normal bundle of energy out that much where all day she just wants to rest? She seemed to have more energy this morning.

Also she isn't listening as well as she has been. For example: when we are outside and i tell her to come she acts like shes ignoring me. Eventually she goes inside but she used to just do it on command. My mom seems to think that because she had a little independance without me for a few days that it will take her a few days to get back to normal.

She seemed happy to see me. She doesn't usually pee when she greets people but she did me and she happily left and got in the car. I was worried she would have so much fun she wouldn't want to leave. I just wanted to know if this stuff was normal? New at owning a puppy and pretty overprotective.

Amanda

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

All totally normal. As for her coming when called she is only 11 weeks old. She's an infant and probably does not know the command yet. At that age she has the attention span of a gnat. LOL
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Yup exactly what Danie said

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jen124 is offline Senior Member

All normal! They go through phases where they seem to be "getting it" and listening great and then they act like they have never heard an obedience command in their life!!! Hang in there!!!
    Jen and the crew!

georgie is offline Senior Member

I agree with Nellie's mom, all normal. She is really young & they go through the "I don't have to listen stage...I know better."

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

All normal.

Google "Nothing in Life is Free" dog training. and use that at meal times.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

thanks so much, it makes me feel much better. I assumed it was normal but i figured i would feel better asking experts like you guys

Amanda

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    Google "Nothing in Life is Free" dog training. and use that at meal times.

OMG - at 11 weeks - are you nutz??

Cheley is offline Senior Member

Sounds perfectly normal! Willow will be 4 months old tomorrow, and she loves to play with my 2 8 yr old labs and my parents 10 yr old lab. It's great for me too, because they run and play for hours then everyone is tired!! LoL.

As for the coming when called, Willow was doing great at this for a while, then she went through a stage where she seemed to be ignoring me. I work on commands with her for a short time each day and now she (usually) comes when I call her again.

Congrats on the puppy! They are a joy!

Thanks Cheley. We started working on commands about 5 minutes each day for now (she won't stay focused longer) and i was pretty surprised how easily she learned to sit. Or course she'll probably go through a stage where she won't do that either. I hated leaving her over the weekend but i knew she would get a lot more attention that way then me coming home just to let her out. I was however surprised that she could be worn out. Thanks again.

Amanda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast