swelling below eye returned

Thread: swelling below eye returned

Jade65 is offline Member

Defaultswelling below eye returned

about 2 months ago Mercedes had a swelling below the eye took her to vet, he thought maybe she got stung..or had a tooth infection gave her antibiotics it went away..now it returned,,so i am thinking itis the tooth last molar the one with 3 roots i hear it is a very serious surgery>,,> i am not sure how on earth i will ever be able to take her to get this surgery i have terrible anxiety and panic attacks,,she is like my child only 6 yrs old all i do is cry..have a appt Fri to see what is what..has anyone had a pet who had this surgery? i am besides myself she has never spent any time away from me except whe i run errands or go shopping else she is always with me..also very very hyper i am scared she will have a heart attack the day of the surgeryfrom the excitment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I've been there...the same symptoms...swelling came, went away and came back. My boys tooth was cracked but it wasn't all that big a deal to remove it. Certainly it required general anesthesia and there was risk with that (my boy was 11 at the time, much more risk than a 6 year old) but my vet wasn't overly concerned with the tooth removal itself. We also had a chessie that had that molar removed (crack noticed on a routine visit) and we didn't have problems with either dog as far as surgery was concerned.
    The lab did have kidney issues that were noticed at the same time and the vet wondered whether the long term infection might have contributed to that so I wouldn't wait if that's what the vet recommends. I know how scary it is to have your best buddy under the knife but ...you do what you have to. Chances are certainly in your favor.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

No experience with that but sending good thoughts to your baby.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mitzi had her upper molar out last year when she was 9. Her face was swollen too. The vet said it's a tough one to pull out, and he had to take it out in pieces. She was fine when I picked her up the same day and had no trouble chewing, but her face was somewhat swollen for a long time after. (She's fine now) If I had to do it again, I would take her to vet dentist. There's a good one in the Cleveland area.
    If she is hyper without you, ask the vet if you can stay with her until she goes under anesthesia. When she wakes up, she will be so groggy, she won't care, and it's likely you will bring her home the same day.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I agree that if you can take her to a vet dentist, it will ease your mind somewhat. That being said though, any competent vet should be able to pull a tooth. Is she sensitive at all if you poke at her teeth or rub them? Is there any redness about the gums? You can ask which ever vet you go to for a sedative (for the dog....and maybe your doctor for you! just kidding, but I really do understand how attached and worried a owner can get).

Good luck, and let us know what happens! We'll hold your hand while Mercedes is at the dentist!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

georgie is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for your girl. I also would go to a vet dentist, if possible.

Jade65 is offline Member

No she does not react if i rub her on the face or teeth..this is what worries me that it maybe something more serious then a tooth...she eats,crunches her food an does not react when i walk her with the Gentle Leader now that would hurt if you had a toothache..today with the antibiotics she is not swollen..but a month or so after she has not had them the swelling comes back..i worry about a tumor but my friend told me she thinks a tumor would not go down only keep growing getting larger.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Your friend is wrong sorry. It sounds like you are very concerned so maybe take her back to the vet to ease you mind. Wondering what it could be will drive you nuts.
    Does her breath smell??

Continued good thoughts.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Jade65 is offline Member

I took her to vet today and she said she definately thinks it is her tooth and it needs to come out, but i can wait a few weeks until i get my med tests (heart valve leak) and my teeth work over...can you believe we ae both having med probs at the same time!!! i need to be well to take care of her..there is just the 2 of us....and that is the way i want it!!!!!!!!! no she does not have bad breath.>>she said to give her antibiotics and for pain one coated asprin.
    Last edited by Jade65; 08-06-2010 at 11:40 PM.