Miss Tina has Kidney diesease
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miss Tina has Kidney diesease

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultMiss Tina has Kidney diesease

Tina turned 16 June 1st. Her tail wags, she enjoys treats and ice cubes and ear scratches. She still has a hydraulic nose. She does sleep a lot. More than a teenager. In the past year several of her vertebrae have fused together pinching nerves in her hindquarters so she doesn't move very well unless she hears the freezer door open, ice going into a glass, or the peanut butter jar being opened.

She has been on Derramaxx for the last six months and went in for the routine blood work. It came back iffy for kidney trouble. We have stopped the Derramaxx and took her back in this morning for a urine test. Got the word tonight she is in the early stages of age related kidney disease.

The vet wants to put her on Science diet KD.

Currently Tina eats 1/2 cup of Diamond Senior kibble w/ one 14 ounce can of green beans 2x daily 2 non salted saltine crackers and 2 dollops of peanut butter 2x daily

She currently weighs 62 pounds, but she wears a harness 24/7 that may weigh 2 pounds.

I am suspicious of Science Diet because the vet sells it.

I am interested in learning of other's experience with kidney disease and how to slow it down.
    Thanks
    LD

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

so sorry, andy.

Dixies Mom is offline Senior Member

I can not offer any advice, but I wanted to say that I'm sorry about Tina. She sounds great for her age though! I hope you get the answers you need. She will be in my prayers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

16 years is an amazingly long life for a Lab sized dog.

My experience with Hill's Science Diet's P/D (Prescription Diet) foods related to heart, kidney, GI and other problems is that they work VERY well -- at least in the sense of the dog WANTING to eat the food.

Hill's has a special section in their company devoted to testing/evaluating the formulations used for various medical conditions (as well as the specific nutritional requirements for various zoo animals).

With any medical condition, I'd feed Hill's P/D (if prescribed), in an instant. Been there, done that; well pleased.

The ingedients list under those circumstances is far LESS important ot me than that my dog actually eats.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 07-17-2010 at 12:15 AM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

labby is offline Senior Member

Kelly had chronic kidney failure. We put her on the Purina equivalent of the Science Diet KD. She lived almost 2 years which the vet said was excellent based on her numbers.

Laura

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I don't have any suggestions, just wanted to send good thoughts for Miss Tina, a Grand Dame for sure.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

justine is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear about Tina's kidneys. I will say that I am also iffy about veterinary prescribed diets, but I have seen KD work wonders.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for all of you, Andy.

Seamus and Flynn

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts for Tina. Like you, i am a little suspicious of anything food related that the vet prescribes. Harvey was put on the Science Plan JD after his op, he wouldnt eat it, put him on his regular food with a joint supplement added and he wolfed it down. Maybe ask if you can get a small bag to see how she does over a short period?

(BTW, the surgeon who performed Harveys op later told me that the diet prescribed by the vet wasnt required, just the joint supp....)

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am sorry to hear about Tina. Sending good thoughts for her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast