Puppy Crying Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Crying Question

Boston is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy Crying Question

So far all is well with Stoli. Today she is perfect with bathroom runs (even clawing on gthe door to go out a couple times) with no accidents!! Not bad for her 3rd day!!

My question is based on her only issue she seems to have so far. crying.

As for the crate she loves it. Gos in and out on her own and naps in there. We put her in there and left the house for 30 mins and as soon as the door closed she cried. The entire time. Also at night after going out to do her business she gets back in and as soon as I get back in bed she cries. If I lay next to the crate she falls asleep instantly. It seems she is afraid to be alone. I understand this is probably normal but with me having to work during the day in a week I want to know what I can do to help her get ready to be alone.

Any best practices you guys have?? How long do you think it lasts on average??

Thx in advance,

Tim, Katie, & Stoli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Kate is 13 weeks old & she will cry occasionally in her crate. I noticed when she is tired she falls asleep right away but if I have to put her in her crate because I can't watch her (cleaning ) she will cry for awhile. I have her crate right next to the bed & she seems fine with that. How old is Stoli?

Quote Originally Posted by georgie View Post
    Kate is 13 weeks old & she will cry occasionally in her crate. I noticed when she is tired she falls asleep right away but if I have to put her in her crate because I can't watch her (cleaning ) she will cry for awhile. I have her crate right next to the bed & she seems fine with that. How old is Stoli?

8 weeks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

You have to let her cry in her crate...ignore her when she is crying, reward her when she is quiet. She'll get. It usually takes a few days to a couple of weeks. We just brought our second pup home...she cried all night for the first 5 nights, but now she goes in her crate, cries for about a minute, if at all, then falls asleep. Her crate is downstairs in the family room, not in my room. It takes time, but Stoli will get used to it. If you talk to her or her take her out of her crate when she cries she will learn very quickly that you will come get her when she makes noise and she'll continue to do it. Just suck it up for a few days and let her cry without giving her the attention she wants. She'll learn to quiet down and go to sleep. Reward her when she is in her crate and being quiet.

Good Luck!!

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

Defaultor ..

you can do what I do, take the pup into bed with you !
    I have done this with my last three pups, never an
    accident, and they bond to you really well.

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    You have to let her cry in her crate...ignore her when she is crying, reward her when she is quiet. She'll get. It usually takes a few days to a couple of weeks. We just brought our second pup home...she cried all night for the first 5 nights, but now she goes in her crate, cries for about a minute, if at all, then falls asleep. Her crate is downstairs in the family room, not in my room. It takes time, but Stoli will get used to it. If you talk to her or her take her out of her crate when she cries she will learn very quickly that you will come get her when she makes noise and she'll continue to do it. Just suck it up for a few days and let her cry without giving her the attention she wants. She'll learn to quiet down and go to sleep. Reward her when she is in her crate and being quiet.

Good Luck!!
    This is what I figured. i just feel bad for the poeple upstairs (they have a 6mth old). Stoli cries very loud!! She doesnt bark yet but oh does she cry!! Its piercingly loud. HAHA.

As for bringing her in bed i fear here at 75 lbs trying to jump in there. There isnt that much room. HAHA
    Also the other issue with the crying is that when I work during the day i dont want her crying for 4 hours at a time.

DefaultBe strong!

I agree with the other posts -- the key is to reward her with attention when she is quiet. The more you pay attention to her when she is crying, the more she realizes that crying WORKS. Labs are WAY smart. Don't let that cuteness get to you! Adolescence is right around the corner. LOL

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain. Remy HATED the crate and made a horrific racket for weeks. He did eventually get over it, but as everyone said...you just have to ignore it as hard as it is. Try putting her in there for short periods when you're home and as soon as she's quiet...let her out. She needs to learn that crying and making a ruckus isn't going to get her anywhere.

Poor baby. She'll be fine though.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

We had Bauer's crate in the living room, any my kids took turns sleeping in there with him. If they were in there he was fine. We never had a real big problem with it though. They slept on the couch for a couple of nights, and cried a little the first 2 nights, and then was fine. After 3 or 4 nights everyone was back in their own beds.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    This is what I figured. i just feel bad for the poeple upstairs (they have a 6mth old). Stoli cries very loud!! She doesnt bark yet but oh does she cry!! Its piercingly loud. HAHA.

As for bringing her in bed i fear here at 75 lbs trying to jump in there. There isnt that much room. HAHA
    Also the other issue with the crying is that when I work during the day i dont want her crying for 4 hours at a time.

Believe me...I feel your pain. Luckily we live in the middle of nowhere with no one to hear her screams and howls and barks and whines. It's awful!! She over it now though...it's painful for the first few days but as long as you stick with it and ignore her cries and reward her quiet time it will pass quickly!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast