Black "stuff" in her ear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black "stuff" in her ear

WoodiE55 is offline Junior Member

DefaultBlack "stuff" in her ear

Hello everyone, newly registered member but been a lurker for a while now. I've got a 2 year old female lab named Bailey and for the last few months on and off she's been having some issues with her right ear.

At times her ear looks fine, other times we find blackish or brownish gunk in her ear. We normally clean her ear with a warm wash cloth or wet Q-Tips to clean her ear. After which we've been putting stuff in her ears that's supposed to help with ear wax, as that's what we thought it was, however since it's been going on for a while I'd say it's not working.

Can anyone give me any idea's what is causing this and what we can do to help clean up Bailey's ears so he'll be a little happier?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Hi! My two labs always have some level of *gunk* to be tissued out from their ears. Dirt from the yard, dirt from whatever you may have. I clean them out a couple of times a week just... because. Sometimes one dog's ears are squeaky clean, the other? Maybe not so much. Don't know why. Just the nature of the beast, I suppose.

If there is no odor, if your dog is not pawing at its ears, just carry on as you are dong.

Seamus and Flynn

labby is offline Senior Member

You need to take Bailey to the vet to determine if it's yeast or bacteria. I will say, you might be adding to the problem by putting stuff in her ear when you don't know what it is you're dealing with. The more you clean, the worse it can get once you disturb the natural pH balance of the ear.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

A lot of information has been posted about ear cleaning here. Do a search
    (on top bar) for ear cleaning.

AZLAB is offline Senior Member

I smell Cinnamon's ears every day as she had ear infections as a puppy came back 4 times and finally went away when I changed her food, the vet put her on 20 days of antibiotics and 30 days of an antifungal drug.

If there is no odor and it is just on the rim of the ear then it is probably dirt. But if it has a funky smell then it is an ear infection and those must be treated.
    Karon and Cinnamon

WoodiE55 is offline Junior Member

After doing a search on the site I see a lot of people suggesting the "Purple Stuff" but after I found the indgrents I have a question about it:

• 16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)
    • 4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
    • 16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

The question I have is the Boric Acid Powder - I can find the Boric Acid at Walgreens however it says it's for killing roaches. All the Boric Acid Powders I've found online and at Walgreens says not to use on humans and/or pets.

I'm assuming what I'm finding online or at walgreens is not what I want then, if so what exactly am I looking for and where can I get it?

georgie is offline Senior Member

I would take her to the vet. I just had Molly, our 6 1/2 year old lab, to the vet. I noticed she was shaking her head alot. There was no smell. I clean her ears every week and I noticed some brown gunk in her right ear. The vet cleaned her ears & then looked in. Her right ear was red. She is on ear drops now. The head shaking has stopped.

AZLAB is offline Senior Member

In the purple stuff you use very little boric acid so it is safe as it is diluted so much. If you notice there is powder for humans that has boric acid in it. It is the same thing the concentration is so little.

I wouldn't try using the purple stuff until after you have a vet treat her. You don't want to do any damage and cause permanent hearing loss. I use the purple stuff if Cierra my brothers hound starts to get a yeast infection. But she is an adult dog who we have had tested and treated by a vet. We know what a yeast infection looks and smells like. Also we catch it early before she developes any large amount of gunky stuff in her ears.

I would take your dog to the vet if it were mine.
    Karon and Cinnamon

acesmom is offline Member

Buddy had an ear that was slightly gunky for several months. It wasn't a lot, so I didn't think about it too much. Then he went on antibiotics for a cut (unrelated) and the ear suddenly got much worse so the vets took a closer look. It turned out to be a yeast infection and we got some ear drops for it. It cleared up quickly and almost all the gunk went away. So it turned out that what I thought was normal gunk was actually a yeast infection. It made me recalibrate my definition of normal ear gunk.

Ace

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Most vets do NOT recommend using a Q tip on a dog's ear as it can push debris farther into the ear.
    Also the purple stuff can burn their ears!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast